Easy way to apply Deft??

I'm looking for an easy way to apply quite a few coats of deft to a living room furniture set I'm building. I've tried brushing and it's tough for me to see where I've already brushed - even with a bright light. I don't have the cash to invest in a spray rig (thought about renting one, but I believe the learning curve might be higher than what I want to deal with for this project) - though I do plan on buying one around summer some time (thought on this would be nice too). I've thought about, but haven't acted on, trying to apply deft with a common spray bottle - but I think I'd probably wind up putting down too much had getting an uneven finish on horizontal surfaces and runs/sags on vertical surfaces....I've also contemplated ragging the stuff on with a t-shirt - though I think this would be putting down very thin layers, effectively doubling the number of coats I'd need.
Thought anyone?
Thanks in advance, Al
I think you'd have a tough time trying to find a spray bottle which would stand up to the lacquer thinner in Deft as it melts many common plastics.
How about using Deft in a rattle can?
Art

or use poly, but wipe it on instead of brushing. Deft is a slow drying lacquer; I don't know if it can be wiped like thinned poly (or "wiping poly") can.
dave
Al wrote:

I use the spray can version of Deft and like it. the spray is consistent and very easy to apply. I hate cranking up the compressor and cleaning the gun when through so this is much easier and MUCH faster.

I've seen the spray cans, but they look to be a fairly expensive alternative (granted, not as expensive as buying a spray setup). Guess I'll give the spray cans a go and see how many coats I can get out of one can...or how many cans it takes to get one coat. :)
Incidentally, the spray rig I'm going to wind up with is a binks HVLP conversion gun - gravity fed... I've heard that cleanup on these is the cat's meow and that if you set up a filling station that it takes no time at all to do a project...a bit pricey at abou $300(?) for the gun, but I think it'll be a worthwhile investment...
wrote:

living
me
have
believe
(thought
common
Ditto .. Hold it upside down, spray for a few seconds and put it back on the shelf, you're done with the cleanup. I can put three coats on a small table in the time it takes to clean up the HVLP sprayer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Thought of using a Pre-Val sprayer? Just like a spray can and does a decent job. http://www.prevalspraygun.com /
Al,
I spray Deft Lacquer and also Sherwin Wiliams with a $16 spray gun from Harbor Freight. About 30 psi and thinned 50-50 or so.If yu have a compressor thats the way to go until you can afford an HVLP rig.

which HF gun?
Charlie Campney wrote:

Agreeing with most of the other replies (except the poly ones), and to answer the padding question directly, I have padded the Deft on turned bowls and such. It is easy to do with a small swatch of cotton tee shirt, but it will take forever to get any build. I'm not even sure you can get a build, because each application will cut the previous. I like it as a first wetting coat in some cases. But I cannot imagine it working for what you want to do. The spray cans are pretty good.
-- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop
Snip ....I've also contemplated ragging the stuff on with a t-shirt -

Have you tried shining a light across the piece rather than from above?