Dutch doors

Page 2 of 3
-MIKE- wrote:

The mirror is not directional, it is the lighting that makes it so.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

lighted, the other side is very well lighted. If you reversed the lighting, the mirror will almost work as well, they tend to be somewhat directional.
--
Froz...

J. Clarke wrote:

Right, but google "one way mirror" and you get a thousand results with the same thing you posted, including from companies that make them.
That's like telling someone there's no such thing as hamburger because there's no ham in it. So what? We all no what we're talking about.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/2/2009 2:59 PM PDQ spake thus:

Hamburger = from Hamburg Hot dog = from Frankfurt (both in Germany) (at least so the legends go)
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
PDQ wrote:

That would make you treasurer of the club for pointless and useless information. How often do you guys hold your meetings? :-p
--

-MIKE-

Useless nits, right. Some of us actually offered useful advice to the OP and others of you....
Hmmm, which are useless again?
--

-MIKE-

otzarella.org...

On 2/2/2009 3:56 PM -MIKE- spake thus:

I see. So with you it's "just the facts, ma'am", is that it? I guess you're a regular Joe Friday.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it

I don't have direct experience with police line-ups, but there absolutely is vinyl or polyethylene sheeting that is more transparent in one direction than in the other. It's almost white on one side, and brown on the other, and people on the brown side can see through it pretty well, but on the white side, the whiteness must make the pupils close down and one really can't see anything on the other side. Maybe if you put your eye right up to it, you could, but I don't know, I haven't tried that.
I think I've seen other designs as well.
I don't see why a day care place couldn't use this. It doesn't have any sharp edges.
The plastic can be used alone or it can be stuck to lexan or glass sheeting. Even then it would be no more dangerous than a plain glass window, maybe less.
If you can't find this at a fabric shop or plastic shop, email me and I'll find out where we got it.

Sign guys use that stuff. They print on it and stick it on city busses with adverts etc. The passengers can see out quite will, although at reduced light levels. And you're right, it is very difficult to see through, although whilst picking nits, I would have to say that technically, the tiny holes are the same dimension regardless....as I drift off in b o r e d o m.....
The only real visual 'diode', is a webcam.. or any other kind of cam, but not a cam'el', because when you lift up a camel's tail, and peek inside, you don't get to see what the camel sees. Or so I'm told.....told you I was bored...
-snip-

I wouldn't even attempt it with a hollow core. Have you priced a pre-hung Dutch door? I'd trust it a lot further than something thrown together. [especially in what would be essentially a commercial usage]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I just noticed that this was cross posted to alt.home.repair, so it might be a bit daunting to weekend warrior.
But for most woodworking guys, even a moderately skilled hobbyist, this isn't a big deal at all.
I'd say the test might be, if you already have the tools to do it, can envision the processes and procedures needed to do it, you're probably qualified to do it.
--

-MIKE-

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Nobody else said it, so I will- talk to your local code people and/or your insurance carrier. The rulebook for schools and daycare would probably apply. I don't think a residential door would pass muster, or last long. I think you are looking at metal frame and fire-rated door, and wired glass for the window. Leastways, that is what I have always seen used in that application. And unless the room has another exit, not sure a dutch door would be allowed- too confusing in the dark and smoke.
If your church is broke, check out Habitat ReStore, even if you have to drive a couple towns over. The ones I have been in usually have a decent selection of ripout commercial doors, and since Habitat is church-based, they would likely cut you a break on the price.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I appreciate that. I'll check with the insurance company. This is a little country church out in the middle of nowhere and I really doubt the county/inspector cares. Still, we want to do things right.
A fire door doesn't make any sense because the wall is not going to be a firewall. Originally it was just going to be a temporary partition, but a wall is cheaper for this one. Other rooms are being walled off with partitions...
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

If it's out in the middle of nowhere, all the more reason to pay attention to fire codes, adequate exits, co and smoke detectors, etc. The door should not, it seems, open inward for two reasons: hitting a child who is sitting or standing behind the door, and for exit in case of fire. Is it in a basement? Near furnace or water heater?
What about a plain, sturdy storm door with plexi instead of glass?

aem is right--check your local code.
If code requires a window in the door, then you'll likely have to have one even if you make it a Dutch door. How else would you look in if both halves of the door are closed?
'Round here, all glass within four feet of a door is required to be of the safety variety--either tempered (breaks into crumbs), or laminated (has a central layer of plastic like auto glass), or both.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

The upper door needs a window... or there could just be a lower door.

Definitely some kind of safety glass, or Plexiglas. I knew that much.
Bob

And you might consider something tinted enough that children inside might not notice parents looking through as much, but those same parents can still see what's going on to some degree.