"Dusting The Screws"

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. Perhaps they come with a paint-by-numbers kit too?

Reply to
Upscale

I'm getting a strong feeling there's a lot of tongue in the cheek of this thread.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).

I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your woodworking pieces, then go for it.

Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

But, I *know* I'm in the real world. I'm not looking at the faceplates thinking "hmmm, wonder if I slipped into the computer world, better check the faceplates..." It's a sign of attention to detail.

Reply to
Joe

I visited the Colonial Williamsburg gunshop a few years back and they showed me a built-from-scratch Kentucky flintlock that they had just completed on commission of $20,000. Back when those flintlocks were new technology people felt strongly enough about personal firearms to write the Second Amendment to our U.S. Constitution.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

..as this collector's Cartier watch would seem to support.

all those screws were to line up, it would look Chinese.

Reply to
Robatoy

That movie is titled "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" and features Wallace Gusler... It's on DVD now! As far as I know the rifle made in the movie still hangs in the gunsmith shop.

Files were old by the 16th century. ;~)

I learned a lot while there but wasn't there long enough to learn it all. Like any place else with a budget they have their bad times... They laid off about 30 people around the time I left.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

You mark the location of the new slot before removing the screw... or if the temp slot is sufficiently out of sync with the new one, start the new slot with a hacksaw, then remove the screw and make the new head.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

For most items I'd have to agree with you... look at high end guns and other high end items and aligned slots are pretty typical. Not sure I'd do it on a deck though no matter how nice the deck. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

For example, see this one (link may outdate when rifle is sold)and note the close-ups of the patch box and the barrel tang.

here:
Not every firearm is crafted to this level of quality:
screw slot alignment has been long considered as a key indicator of quality gunsmithing as have special, narrow slots that have the practical purpose of resisting attacks with wedge shaped hardware store screwdrivers. Conversely buggered-up screw slots and over-tightened screws are indicators of insensitivity, incompetence and neglect by previous owners of a used firearm.

Finally, you're not likely to see socket head cap screws or hex bolts on a fine sporting firearm (though maybe on some specialized military or competition rifle where performance trumps appearance).

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Sorry to hear you had to leave, John. I left my machine shop, one of my best memories, under similar circumstances, it being a govt thing and a prez admin change, so I know how that works.

I recall Williamsburg back in '64, before the electronic cash registers were installed. Great experience. It was "real" back then.

Thanks for the exact title name. I may jes buy a copy. It would be great to show to my firearm friendly friends.

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's pretty cheap.....

like the cabinet maker movie too.

John Grossbohlin

Tom, of course you must know that you're either leaving them a little loose or stripping the threads just a bit, right? And since it goes against the grain to leave a fastener a little loose, they tend to end up overtightened and thus stripped out a bit, true?

No problem, I suppose, if it doesn't need to last too long, or if it'll never ever in life have to be taken apart again for any reason whatsoever. Or, to cut you a little slack, if structural integrity is unimportant.

But I maintain old wooden boats, and I'll tell you that I disregard that little visual detail in favor of getting them just as right as I know how to do it without concern for which way the slots point.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:NuydnfWm15ZiCMrXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The screws just aren't as visible on a deck as they are an electrical outlet cover plate. It makes sense to align the screws on something where they're quite visible, that's a sign of quality. On something where the screws are hidden or reduced visibility, why bother?

On a deck you've got 8 screws (minimum) per board, but on only the largest of outlet cover plates do you have 8 screws to align. (You don't even have to align them the same way--just pick an easily recognized pattern!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

How would it be to have a Torx Triple Square pattern screw head that only filled half the countersink depth, and then you had a decorative slotted head with a post that fit into the Torx. The Torx Triple Square has enough opportunities to maintain orientation while allowing for proper torque and the decorative (it could actually be working plug in) head would allow a traditional look.

This would be particularly nice on oval headed brass.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Reply to
Robatoy

Too bad Mr. Here is no longer with us.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yes - that's what they do. I actually think that Conrad Sauer does it that way on some of his planes.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

IMNSHO, hide the screws! They have no business being seen in wooddorking efforts.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

True enough and often today not practiced nearly enough ....however often the difference between profit and loss or business success or failure is knowing which details actually deserve the attention. I've as well had hobbyist projects languish way to long in the shop while trying to exceed my skill level although usually it is procrastination masquerading as trying to get it just right....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty-Jo