"Dusting The Screws"

Page 2 of 3

You mark the location of the new slot before removing the screw... or if the temp slot is sufficiently out of sync with the new one, start the new slot with a hacksaw, then remove the screw and make the new head.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 10, 3:23 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Yes - that's what they do. I actually think that Conrad Sauer does it that way on some of his planes.
JP
Add pictures here
✖

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. Perhaps they come with a paint-by-numbers kit too?
Add pictures here
✖

I'm getting a strong feeling there's a lot of tongue in the cheek of this thread.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:01:35 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I don't know the origin of the term, but yes, I try to do that when I remember.

✖
On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

[...]
Unfortunately, yes.

✖
Tom Watson wrote:

No
Yes
Absolutely not! But checking for same in other people's houses might be :) ______________
When I built my house the electrician I'd hired oriented all the cover plate screws. Seeing that, did I trust the thoroughness of his other hidden but important work? You betcha!!
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I wanna meet the person that can casually spot dust on an electrical outlet plate screw slot! ;)
nb
Add pictures here
✖
Tom Watson wrote:

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail.
Make no excuses, nuff said ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

True enough and often today not practiced nearly enough ....however often the difference between profit and loss or business success or failure is knowing which details actually deserve the attention. I've as well had hobbyist projects languish way to long in the shop while trying to exceed my skill level although usually it is procrastination masquerading as trying to get it just right<G>....Rod
Add pictures here
✖
"Rod & Betty-Jo" wrote

I would like to address the issue of procrastination. But I am to busy putting off other things to get to that just now. <G>
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

If I might be permitted a second reply here, I'd just like to say that I don't even consider this a Good Thing (lining up all one's screw slots).
I think this helps to give whatever piece the screws are attached to a fake look, kind of like a computer graphic produced with an illustration program here all the screws are copied and pasted with their slots in exactly the same orientation. If you're happy with the CAD look to your woodworking pieces, then go for it.
Random screw slot alignments are part of the real world. Get used to it.

✖

But, I *know* I'm in the real world. I'm not looking at the faceplates thinking "hmmm, wonder if I slipped into the computer world, better check the faceplates..." It's a sign of attention to detail.
Add pictures here
✖

..as this collector's Cartier watch would seem to support.
http://www.brittons-watches.co.uk/watches/gents_cartier/1348.jpg
If all those screws were to line up, it would look Chinese.
Add pictures here
✖

For most items I'd have to agree with you... look at high end guns and other high end items and aligned slots are pretty typical. Not sure I'd do it on a deck though no matter how nice the deck. ;~)
John
Add pictures here
✖
*trim*

The screws just aren't as visible on a deck as they are an electrical outlet cover plate. It makes sense to align the screws on something where they're quite visible, that's a sign of quality. On something where the screws are hidden or reduced visibility, why bother?
On a deck you've got 8 screws (minimum) per board, but on only the largest of outlet cover plates do you have 8 screws to align. (You don't even have to align them the same way--just pick an easily recognized pattern!)
Puckdropper
✖

Tom, of course you must know that you're either leaving them a little loose or stripping the threads just a bit, right? And since it goes against the grain to leave a fastener a little loose, they tend to end up overtightened and thus stripped out a bit, true?
No problem, I suppose, if it doesn't need to last too long, or if it'll never ever in life have to be taken apart again for any reason whatsoever. Or, to cut you a little slack, if structural integrity is unimportant.
But I maintain old wooden boats, and I'll tell you that I disregard that little visual detail in favor of getting them just as right as I know how to do it without concern for which way the slots point.
Tom Dacon
Add pictures here
✖

<snip>
How would it be to have a Torx Triple Square pattern screw head that only filled half the countersink depth, and then you had a decorative slotted head with a post that fit into the Torx. The Torx Triple Square has enough opportunities to maintain orientation while allowing for proper torque and the decorative (it could actually be working plug in) head would allow a traditional look.
This would be particularly nice on oval headed brass.
Regards,
✖

The Ronco Screw-Faux-Mo.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 07:35:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Too bad Mr. Here is no longer with us.
Regards,
✖