"Dusting The Screws"

I was affixing a brass plaque the other day and, as is my practice when installing hardware with slotted screws, I "dusted" them.

To me, this means that the slots are vertical and that they all match.

I've used this term for years and I've been asked where the term came from.

My poor memory seems to recall that it is a term from motorheads who trick out old cars for shows but I'm not at all clear on that.

Has anyone else heard this term?

Does anyone else bother to do this?

Is this a sign of OCD?

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Never heard that term for it but have always taken the trouble to "just neaten-up things a little" as my grandad usta' call it...

The correct orientation is horizontal, however, not vertical... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

No.

Always.

Probably. Although I put it down to doing a decent engineering apprenticeship, where I had it drummed into me that small details

*mattered*.
Reply to
PCPaul

They collect more dust in the horizontal position. Also, when outside, the vertical will allow for water to run off more easily. Now I'm all out of nits till I raise a few more.

Reply to
Robatoy

I was just pullin' Tom's chain a little for the heckuvit; in reality I don't have a fixed orientation, what I actually do w/ orientation depends on the piece and what appears to look best to my eye at the time. On affixing a plate such as that mentioned, particularly if the corners were cut off, placing them so they slots parallel the adjacent edge might be more attractive rather than either h-al or v-al...

The most important facet is simply the symmetry that echoes the care; in general the actual choice is less important.

Again, of course, $0.01, ymmv, etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

On the other hand, if the torque on the screws matters then this is absolutely the wrong thing to do. I know I've run into one instance (electrical switchplate) where lining up a screw with the others made it either too tight or too loose--I was worried about cracking the faceplate or having the screw unwind itself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

You're supposed to use screws with thick heads and a temporary slot... after determining where the slot needs to be, by screwing them in to proper torque, create the final head and slot. At least that's the way we did it with hand filed wood screws when I worked in the gunsmith shop at Colonial Williamsburg. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Ah...that makes sense.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

And I was pulling yours....and I was trying to stave off the more anal membership here. All in all, orientate the slots so it compliments the shape of the object. An oval would create a different zen than a rhomboid. As the French say: . . . . . . ...well...whatever it is they say....

Reply to
Robatoy

Let me know how you make out with that.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I didn't know that.

Nope.

Every single time

Most certainly. Of course, I'm pretty sure being a wooddorker is a sign of OCD as well.

Reply to
Joe

heads. They put them in and tighten them up, then they file them flush and re-cut the slot in the exact alignment that they desire. I'd worry about over or under-torquing them the other way maybe.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I don't know the origin of the term, but yes, I try to do that when I remember.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On 7/9/2009 12:01 PM Tom Watson spake thus:

Unfortunately, yes.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No

Yes

Absolutely not! But checking for same in other people's houses might be :) ______________

When I built my house the electrician I'd hired oriented all the cover plate screws. Seeing that, did I trust the thoroughness of his other hidden but important work? You betcha!!

Reply to
dadiOH

The difference between mediocrity and supremacy is attention to detail.

Make no excuses, nuff said ...

Reply to
Swingman

Wow! A tip o' the hat to you.

I was snot-nosed punk working at a govt lab machine shop when our forman came out to the floor and told everyone to knock off. He wheeled out a old B&H 16mm projector and proceeded to show a two hour film on how a gun was made in colonial times as recreated at the Williamsburg gunshop. As a machinist, gun nut, and previous visitor to Williamsburg ('64), I can truly say that was one of the most fascinating and instructive films I've ever viewed.

I think the making of the screws, springs, and boring bit was the most interesting. It was almost unthinkable to us, who had walls of fasteners of every kind, that in those times, each screw was handmade. And who knew file technology was developed as early as the 16th century. Great film. I think it's still available as VHS.

Did you learn how to make the whole gun?

nb

Reply to
notbob

While I find your premise intriguing, I also find it mostly unbelievable. Who would do this? Where would they get these fasteners? How would they cut the new slot? What discipline would require it?

I used to spend hours working with fastener reps and never heard of such a thing. I've made specialized screws, but never this. I even know jewelers that have no need of such an item.

I'm not being dismissive, just very curious. We've heard one fellow mention gunsmithing. I guess I can see handmade custom guns that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars doing this. I've not seen this in Concours de Elegance or aircraft. Is being anal a craft? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I wanna meet the person that can casually spot dust on an electrical outlet plate screw slot! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

How did they get them out after filing them flush?

Reply to
dadiOH