dust collector control

What I did in my shop since I was building it from scratch, is to put light switches at the table saw, work bench, and about every 6 feet along the wall where I have woodworking equipment.

I connected the switches in parallel so that any one of them will activate the dust collector. Since my DC is 220 vac I just used a relay with a 120vac coil and rated for 200vac/20 amps.

I had a long ranger RF control but I kept misplacing it and spent too much time looking for it. This way I have no more than 3 feet to a switch.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

I'm a hobbyist, so sometimes it's a whole week, maybe two before the shop gets a good workout. I have used the Long Ranger for at least a couple of years without a failure. I clip it to my pants pocket so never lose it (well, mostly never) while working because I never have it in my hand to set down. Where I get into problems is when I'm done for the day, or take a break and take off the apron, which means I take the remote out of my pocket and set it down.

I've been making an effort recently to quit losing it. This started when I lost it one time, and finally found it in the shop fridge next to the Dr. Pepper. Last few months I have been trying to train myself to set the remote down in the gap along the rail between the table saw and the fence. If I remember to do that, I find it quickly when I come into the shop. If I forget and just set it down, it invariably will be eventually found way down towards the bottom of Tunnel #3.

If my self-training fails, I may just smear it with tuna each day, and let the Shop Cat earn his keep.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Replace those light switches with momentary push buttons and you gain undervoltage protection that I previously described.

Also using light switches requires that you make sure they are all OFF to make sure the D/C is off.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:uQuHg.13665$xp2.10144 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

But if you wire the switches using 4 way switches, then you could turn it on and off at any location.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

a good workout. I

clip it to my pants

it in my hand to set

and take off the

lost it one time, and

have been trying to

saw and the fence.

forget and just set it

Shop Cat earn his

Years ago I did the same. Now I set my remote on top of my table saw fence and it's always there. The LongRanger is red so it is fairly easy to spot. Now where did I put my keys?

Reply to
Phisherman

LOL. But it's great for those of us who never lose our car keys, and know exactly where everything we own is ... unless someone else uses it.

Reply to
Swingman

a good workout. I

clip it to my pants

it in my hand to set

and take off the

lost it one time, and

have been trying to

saw and the fence.

forget and just set it

Shop Cat earn his

I have the Jet air filter on the ceiling and the remote came with velcro... I put the velcro on the front/side of the RAS arm, since I walk past it to enter or leave the garage/shop, and have never felt the need to carry it around... I use it like a light switch and it's a lot harder to lose if it's always stuck in the same place... especially as in my case where it's a bit higher than stuff usually piles up.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

"Swingman" wrote in news:G4WdnT_ZlNHjRXPZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I am about ready to change my stationary tool switches to three pole and run low voltage through the spare contact. That would in turn control the contactor for the DC. Not sure how the NEC code would view that but it would work. Probably too pricey as well.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

I got my remote from Grizzly. It came with 2 controls. I hang one by my TS and one by my planer.

Reply to
Tom

I've already posted the lowest coast, legal means to accomplish the task.

You want to try to reinvent the wheel, that's your business.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:fMKHg.1582$bM.1109 @newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I wanted to keep it down to one button which would turn on the tool and the DC. If not, then I will go with your idea of a separate pushbutton at each location.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Piece of cake.

Use two (2) momentary push buttons(start/stop) and a small, 3 pole control relay with 10A contacts.(they are known as "Ice Cube" relays)

Use one relay contact to control the tool, another for the D/C and the

3rd contact as a holding circuit for the relay.

Stop button breaks the holding circuit which stops the tool AND the D/C, unless it is being used by another tool at the same time.

As a bonus, you get undervoltage protection.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:XFRHg.1491$xQ1.159 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That would work of 120VAC but for 220 I like to shut off both hot wires. I guess I would need a 4 pole for that application.

Know of any time delay contactors for the DC? I would like it to stay runnning for 'n' seconds after the "OFF" button has been pushed.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Depends on the switch on your DC...

"If" you get mag start switch, remote controls are not really available.

Cheaper switches can be handled by remote controllers.

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Yes.

Easiest way to do it is to pull L1, L2, N for each tool + one (1) control wire for the D/C contactor coil.

You can get a time delay for most relays.

Strictly a guess, probably adds $100.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I hard wired a switch on a long extension cord to the plug of my DC.

Place/hang the switch box close to the switch of the machine I'm using.

Not very elegant or hi tech, no place for batteries, difficult to misplace. The only thing it seems to do well is turn my DC on and off.

LdB

Reply to
L d'Bonnie