Dust collection/Cyclone lid

Page 2 of 2
igor wrote:

Yep... I figured that out before I clicked on "order". At least one thing went right today.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

the
collector.
in
vacuum
6
Absolutely! My sh^H^H^cellar is so small I still use the flex line to hook to the planer, jointer & bandsaw, but right in front of the 1HP Grizzly G8027 is a G3376(see pg. 129 in catalog). Makes a HUGE difference when jointing or planing, but you need to sort of keep an eye on it, because when the trash can gets about 2/3 full, it doesn't collect the stuff, just lets it pass through to the collector bags.
I have not noticed any decreased air flow with the separator lid. Don't remember if it has a foam gasket or not, but it seats on top of the metal garbage can very well. I did find it better to seal around the tubing with duct tape, it served a dual purpose; made them air-tight, and kept them in place in the lid.
--
Nahmie
Yes, they do work. Yes, they do reduce the air flow. If you consider your current air flow marginal, then you don't want one. If you think you have good flow now, then you probably will be okay.

the
collector.
in
vacuum
6

<snip>
Bill, that's pretty clever. You say you have a second bin, for the wife to fill with rose trimmings?
Patriarch
The city will give us up to 4 for free. I only have 3, 2 for the yard, 1 for chips. They really only want to charge extra for the waste containers. And they are smaller too.
But no, you won't find my wife in the rose garden, or any garden for that matter. Too much risk of getting dirty. Anyway, roses come from the florist, right?

<snip>

I guess they do at your house. You sound like a wise man...
Patriarch, who helps his wife with the rose garden she was never promised....

the
collector.
[snip]
Keith,
You don't say which model you have? I have the 1 HP portable King DC, which is a great little blower, but a pitiful DC. The biggest problem was the crappy little bag they give you. It created so much back pressure that the suction was zilch.
So I bought one of the replacement bags from Lee Valley and two Rubbermaid garbage cans. The bag went on can #1 with the Lee Valley strap. I also installed a 5" DC door removed) on can #1 with bolts a backing plate and lots of silicon. I then took the stand off my 1 HP blower and mounted it to an MDF plate (approx. 10") with a hole in the middle for the blower intake. I mounted the blower to this plate with the bolts that held the blower to the stand. I also routed a groove in this plate about 2" wide around the intake hole, so that the blower made a nice flush fit. Again lots of silicon. I then created a second plate out of MDF to sit on top of the garbage can with a 4" (approx.) hole cut in the center. I then cut a routed a groove in the face of this plate the same width/depth/size as the rim of garbage can #2. Plate #1 with the blower attached get screwed to plate #2 with the 4" holes aligned of course. Then plate #2 just friction fits the top of garbage can #2. I then used 3" PVC (white stuff) to make the input for can #2. I can't remember what the outside piece was called (it fit my 4" pipe outside and the elbow inside), but I used PVC glue to attach this to a 45 degree elbow inside garbage can #2. Again all siliconed up. The output of the blower (sitting on top of G can #2) goes to the input of G Can #1 of course.
This has been working great for a few months. The increase in suction was phenomenal (better bag) and I'm now collecting up my chips. There's virtually no dust escaping my TS now, whereas before I would be dusty the snowman. I made a whack of dado cuts a few weeks ago and only a small amount made it to the shop floor. The chip bucket collected about half a can of oval shaped chips about a 1/4" long.
Thanks All !! For all the input...Looks like I'll go with it, incorporating some of the suggestions.
1) The $47 I quoted was in Canadian $ = 35 US$
2) Lee Valley suggest: "Our large cyclone lids were designed to fit on any round container with a top diameter between 19" and 23-1/2". The registration ledges on the inside of the lid fit on standard trashcans from 19" to 20-1/2" in diameter. The 23-1/2" dia. outer ledge fits on 45- to 55-gallon drums. Available in either black ABS or clear PET, large lids come drilled for use with either 2-1/2" or 4" dia. hose." "Since we first introduced our cyclone lid, we found that many of our customers use the cyclone lid specifically with a shop vacuum and a Rubbermaid Roughneck trashcan and didn't require the larger size for use with larger dust collection systems. This new smaller lid will closely fit on 20-gallon trashcans (Rubbermaid model # 2892 in USA and # 2882 in Canada). At 19-1/2" in diameter, it is more compact and has less overhang than our large lid. This lid will also fit on commonly available steel trashcans with a 16-1/2" to 17" top diameter. Available only in clear PET for use with 2-1/2" dia. hose."
3) The Kind model I have has enough air to handle a cyclone "container" between the machinery and King collector.
4) I LIKE the idea of having the chip collection before the dust collector and with the clear lid it would be simple to keep an eye on the material level.
Keith P
I made my lid for about $20 using the plans below. The trash can lid sold is moulded from and may have some problems sealing around the lip or where the hoses go in, By using 3/4" partical board, your lid will sit and you can use hose connections through the top that you can seal.
If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
One item to add that I haven't seen in this thread.
I use the cyclone pre-separator lid and love it, no plastic bag and have only had to empty the dust collector bags once every 9-12 months.
However, when I put the bags back on, I use a 20" bicycle tire slit lengthwise on the flange (underneath both the bag and clamp. Virtually eliminates any dust leaks there, and all for a couple of bucks!
Joe C.

the
collector.
in
vacuum
6
Does your DC cyclone lid separate aluminum cuttings from the wood already in the can. If you decide to cut some plastic, such as Lexan, on your table saw, will the lid separate the plastic from the wood already in the can so you can dump the wood dust in the garden and the plastic in the trash? Mine does.