Dust collection/Cyclone lid

Dr. Schnerd -- Don't want to prematurely rain on your parade, but there was at least one thread some time back with people expressing disappointment with the overhead guard from PS. I recall this because I had really wanted to buy one. I'd appreciate your posting here about your experience w/ it.

I bought a PS DC and it sucks. I also use the trash can w/ cyclone lid (see comments above in this thread, if interested). I have had switch problems. The first switch stopped working -- it would flip back and forth but not "engage" - regardless of the insertion of the kid-safety part. They replaced it, no problem. While that one works, the snap-in fitting was broken when it arrived - on my to-do list to get a third switch.

Now that I read your post again, not sure if the overhead guard is all you bought from PS or if you got everything there. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

1) I'm a nurse; not a doctor. I save taxes that way. 2) Now you tell me. 3) Yep... bought it all from Penn State. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The city will give us up to 4 for free. I only have 3, 2 for the yard, 1 for chips. They really only want to charge extra for the waste containers. And they are smaller too.

But no, you won't find my wife in the rose garden, or any garden for that matter. Too much risk of getting dirty. Anyway, roses come from the florist, right?

--

******** Bill Pounds
"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" You say you have a second bin, for the wife to

So I've heard.

Well, I think they do have a decent return policy! Anyway, be sure to run the boom through its paces early on. (Sometimes the stuff I buy sits and I then have to hope there is no problem because the warranty has lapsed by the time I actually use the thing.) And, if you have good news about it to report, I may well spring for one. You can be "Mikey" in the Life cereal ad.

As I indicated, my experience with their support people is good - of course, I would prefer not to know this. And, with a bit of luck, you won't have to find out. -- Igor.

Reply to
igor

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in news:p93Zc.30779$ snipped-for-privacy@cyclops.nntpserver.com:

I guess they do at your house. You sound like a wise man...

Patriarch, who helps his wife with the rose garden she was never promised....

Reply to
patriarch

BTW, one other thing that you may know already: Did you get sale prices on all the stuff you ordered? At the PS website if you go through the "standard" links to the items you ordered the sale prices are not shown. To see/get the sale prices you apparently have to get to the items via the "web specials" link. For example, the price of the boom TS guard is $200, but if you get to the item via the web specials page the price is currently $150. The sale links are also the ones that come in the e-mail if you are on the PS e-mail list. Again, you may know this but I thought it was worth a mention. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Yep... I figured that out before I clicked on "order". At least one thing went right today.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

One item to add that I haven't seen in this thread.

I use the cyclone pre-separator lid and love it, no plastic bag and have only had to empty the dust collector bags once every 9-12 months.

However, when I put the bags back on, I use a 20" bicycle tire slit lengthwise on the flange (underneath both the bag and clamp. Virtually eliminates any dust leaks there, and all for a couple of bucks!

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C

Lid says Woodstock International WI049

Maybe my plastic bag is just waiting its chance. :-)

bob g.

igor wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Lid says Woodstock International WI049

Maybe my plastic bag is just waiting its chance. :-)

bob g.

igor wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Does your DC cyclone lid separate aluminum cuttings from the wood already in the can. If you decide to cut some plastic, such as Lexan, on your table saw, will the lid separate the plastic from the wood already in the can so you can dump the wood dust in the garden and the plastic in the trash? Mine does.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker