Drying cedar for an outdoor project?

A few weeks ago I purchased some rough cut Western Red Cedar that I plan to use for a small open-sided shelter (with metal roof) over the barbeque on my patio. The wood was pretty fresh from the mill and was outside in the rain for a while before I got it. Given that this will be an outdoor structure I figured I could start construction right away, and shouldn't have any problems with shrinking, warping, etc. Does that sound correct, or should I dry the wood in my unheated garage for a while? Thanks for your suggestions.

Glenn

My experience with unfinished cedar is that it will definitely shrink, once placed in outdoor service full time. I didn't have too much trouble with warping. I saw six inch wide boards shrink 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If your project can tolerate that, you should be fine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It'll shrink. Keep it out of the weather for 2-3 months if you have to have a certain dimension anywhere. Of course you know that it will grow in wet weather, shrink in dry, and shrivel in sun.

If it's just a privacy fence, nail it up with small/no gaps when wet or green.

Reply to
George