drill bit for pole

I need to drill twelve 1/2" holes through 8" marine treated poles/pilings in order to mount a boat lift. I'm hoping that my regular 3/8" corded drill will be adequate. Should I use a spade or auger drill bit for this?

Reply to
Arden

Yes...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Use the auger bit as it will eject the sawdusr better.

Ed

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Reply to
ecessna

many moons ago I worked one summer for a pier & dock building company; we used air-powered drills (working in the water, you know) and auger bits.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I would not ue a spade bit.

This is a job for an auger IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What's wrong with brace and bit? ...just like granddady used to do it.

Reply to
Guess who

Reply to
wlslaton

Definitely use an auger bit with a threaded screw drive on the end. After one hole with the spade bit your arm will probably fall off.

Reply to
Josh

Get something like a Greenlee NailEater electrician's auger bit. They make rough holes but that should be fine for bolts. You can dress the leading edges of the auger with a small file if they get dull.

Reply to
ATP*

Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

I had actually given a quick try at this already with a spade bit and an anemic corded drill and was afraid that I wouldn't live long enough to finish all of the holes. I'll definitely buy an auger bit.

I was already thinking about the electric shock hazard (esp. for the two poles which are not adjacent to the dock). The pneumatic drill sounds like a good idea, but I don't presently own one. Hey, perhaps this is a good excuse to buy another tool!! Is a high speed drill, or a low speed (higher torque) drill more appropriate for this task (I'm a novice at at this)?

I already own an assortment of air wrenches (ratchet and impact); it seems a shame that I couldn't somehow easily adapt one of these.

Thank-you!

Reply to
Arden

While the bit will work if it is an auger bit, the brace does not fit any

3/8" drill that I know of. Personally if I was going to drill almost 100" in depth I would prefer the power of a corded drill over that of a brace and me supplying the power.
Reply to
Leon

I had to drill about a dozen or so holes thru 12" pressure treated lumber - bought a 20" long spade bit and went to town. Got about 6 of them done w/ my cordless then my coreded took over.

Reply to
Rob V

Obviously a spade bit will work but it is not self cleaning and the hole will clog then the holes are deep and gravity will not clean the shavings.

Reply to
Leon

You have had lots of advice, but, nobody has mentioned a "ship's auger". = What you want to do is exactly why they were invented centuries ago. I = have a 3/8" and 1/2" that I needed for just such a task. They come in big bore sizes and all have up to a 3 foot shaft. You = might be able to find one that is big enough and fits a 1/2" drill.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

This is a perfect excuse to buy a brace and the ship's augur to go with it.

Check out Jamestown Distributors.

SFWIW, the only thing I buy at harbor Freight are consumables, not good tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Use what linemen use when drilling thru telco poles, auger with a long shaft

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

When I was doing antenna work using treated utility poles, I had a gas powered half inch drill and auger bit to set the step pegs. Keep a firm grip....

Craig

Reply to
MakaNui

If the utility pole is horizontal, it's a whole bunch easier. Since these are already installed in the vertical position over water, the torque reaction could be interesting if standing in a boat while drilling. The drill should be running in the 300-450 rpm range for this work. Due to the chip generation, the bit should be removed at least once to clear it, rather than just punching through in one pass.

Reply to
IBM5081