Draw knives vs. belt sanders

If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which would you choose and why?

Not really what I'd consider to be a comparison type question since they're two completely different types of tools aside from the fact that they can both remove wood in varying degrees. However, choice would be dictated by how much wood I wanted removed and then I'd go to the belt sander to smooth the surface a little more before final smoothing.
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
| If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander | which would you choose and why?
Well, I just never did find a draw knife to be particularly handy for removing old varnish from an oak floor or deburring metal parts...
...and I could never quite bring myself to enjoy using a belt sander to trim a whole roof full of oak or cedar shakes - they just make too much noise and dust.
But that's just me.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Is sanding EVER fun? <G>

If you had to choose between a bicycle and a wheelbarrow, which would you choose, and why?

Depends on how drunk I was. :)
That's a good question, Alexy. Depends on the task. I would guess you might ask such a question to solicit an open discussion on the uses of both items. Oh, wait! You were just being sarcastic. Yeah. I'm sure that's helpful too- somewhere.
alexy wrote:

unlikely to elicit any useful information.

with the bicycle or wheelbarrow, others could relate their experiences and advice in that context, providing some meaningful discussion.

basic uses, and where I saw possible overlap, ask about people's preferences in the area of overlapping usage.

Hopefully your original post got you the info you were looking for.

Tue, Jan 9, 2007, 10:44am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chrisgiraffe) doth query: If you had to choose between the a draw knife and a belt sander which would you choose and why?
Insufficient details for a viable reply.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

That would depend on what I was doing. I'd choose the one that was appropriate for the job I needed to do.
Skinning the bark off a freshly felled pole? Draw knife. Wet bark gums the sanding belts and you'll get a better finish with the knife.
Taking the epoxy squeeze out off a cured laminate? Belt Sander. Epoxy is tough on blades.
Looking to get a nice, flat surface? Neither. That's what planes are for.
--
Nobody Special
Chandler, AZ
Nobody_special wrote:

I can't sharpen my lawnmower blade with a draw knife.
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

It depends on who's buying. I've picked up a decent draw knife at a flea market for under $1.00. The last belt sander I bought was about $120.00.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message

The belt sander ... but only if Amy, who was using one on the DIY channel last night, brings it.
... if you've seen Amy, you wouldn't have to ask!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Why would I have to choose?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

That's a bizarre question (bicycle vs. wheelbarrow isn't far off it).
Assuming from your other posts that you're talking about smallish rustic timber framing works, then it would be a drawknife every time. Although you can remove wood with a belt sander (usually too much, where you didn't want to), they're an ugly way to do it. A cheap belt sander is also a vile POS to have to work with.
If you have a drawknife, then you'll probably want a shave horse too. Make your own. It's little more than a plank on legs, with a foot-pedal activated clamp head.