Dovetailing Baltic Birch follow up.

First of all, thank you everybody for you insights. Here's my deal, and I feel a bit of a plonker for doing it this way, beginner mentality. I have these drawer glides that can only be used on drawers that have a max material thickness of 5/8". Off I went to the lumber yard and bought 4/4 rough sawn poplar, well here's were I really am a plonker. I planed that stuff down to 5/8, I know, what an idiot, but I didn't know what else to do. It later occurred to me that I could buy

5/4 and re saw to 5/8, plane it up to 1/2, which would suffice.Do others do it this way or is there a more effective way. Thanks again, Mike
Reply to
miey

I'm curious as to what brand slides dictate the box thickness.

Keep in mind it's early here and I'm a few minutes from brain engagement.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I think it is more of a fixing screw issue than the slide itself, but some of the undermounts may have an optimum size. Most of the side mount slides have mounting holes that are near the bottom dado, so they tend to split solid wood slides near the ends.

BTW, how did the repro knobs workout??? :*)

Jamie

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Jamien

Reply to
miey

Can you rabbett the bottom edge of the drawer side and fool the side into thinking it's 5/8".

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Not on under mount slides, they actually go up inside the bottom of the drawers. You have to dado the bottom quite high off the bottom edge of the drawer side for under mount slides. They are odd ducks to install, but they have a sweet action, and you can't see them at all.

Bottom mount slides would work > miey wrote:

Reply to
Jamien