Doors and Out of Plumb Walls

Page 2 of 4
1D10T wrote:

Tru dat.
--

-MIKE-

walls. They pulled the jamb in nice and tight but I also used glue. Basically they acted as clamps.
RonB

I've used a bunch of trim-head #7 SS square head recess screws for such things. They do have the (dis)advantages you state; small head and potential to modify the installation. However, the screw head isn't small enough disappear. They have their use and beat nails all to hell, but aren't a panacea. They don't replace the big honkin' screw through the hinges either. I too had an exterior door (almost) held on by the brickmold). :-(

Yeah, I see that quite often. AAMOF my last 2 prehung door job, presented the same problem. Remember, the casing moldings are not necessarily there to "pretty up" the door opening.

Ahhh, but how many of them are out of plumb/square from the get go and how many of them have shifted over time from incorrect installation or shrinkage/wood movement?
RE: Subject
By definition a house is little more than a poorly built boat.
Lew
evodawg wrote:

If only two things are messed up in a framing job it will be the master bedroom ceiling and the front entrance door framing.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:

I can only hope its 2
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Re. the MBR ceiling - this excerpt from a letter from a WWI soldier to his wife:
"Honey, take a good look at the floor, because when I get home all you are going to see is the ceiling."
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

I lived in a house like that for 30 years. The back wall of the carport was out of plumb 1.5 inches from top to bottom. When I enclosed the carport, I ripped 2x4's into long shims to have vertical studs for hanging the finish wall.
There was also some plumbing that repeatedly clogged - the drains had no slope.
Probably not too bad a job of building from people who were structurally illiterate - not knowing square, plumb, or level.
John
In the past decade, the Nashville area has had a housing boom, probably rivaled only by Las Vegas. I don't know if it's the fact that Nashville has become a sanctuary city for illegals and the State turns a blind eye to their hiring, or the houses are just going up too darn fast and builders don't care about quality or a combination of those factors, but I've run across some ridiculous gaffs in half million dollar homes around here.
A friend wanted to separate a second story (third, if you count the dug-out garage/basement at ground level) master suite into two bedrooms (as per the original home plans-- first owner left out the wall to make one huge suite). No big deal, I go in and build a simple 14-or-so foot stud wall and lift into place.
My helper and I lift the wall up and discover a gap you could fit a 2x4 in sideways at the top of the wall, where it t-bones the exterior load-bearing wall. That's right, the wall is leaning out at the top, 3-1/2 inches. You don't even need a 4' level to see something like that. I'm wondering how no one caught this.
We go outside to look at the wall from the exterior... it's brick. I look straight up the wall, from the garage door opening, and can see each row of bricks is sitting out further than the next, by at least 1/8 inch. The wall looks like a little staircase with tiny steps going in reverse, up the entire wall.
--

-MIKE-

that's a design feature, not a bug
charlie wrote:

Yeah. lol The designation was assigned somewhere between the architect and final inspection.
--

-MIKE-

You must work with software... LOL
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Kinda sorry I started this thread. Did realize there's some really shitty workmanship out there and wondered how any of them keep their license. Guess that's why in tough times the ones with the reputation are still busy. I seem busier then when things were going nuts. I know I'm in a business that is sometimes looked at like lawyers, used car salesman, and Politicians. I just do the best I can and at the end ask the customer if their happy and if there's something they're not happy with? I usually get a big smile and a NO. Do your homework!!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Reminds me of a situation maybe 10-15 years ago when a bunch of McMansions were being built where my favorite hunting woods once stood. There was a real dumb a... I knew of from high school working as a laborer on some of those houses... spent his youth doing burglaries, and using and selling drugs. The guy who owned the contracting business wouldn't let the DA do anything resembling thinking work. This because the DA ruined material and pretty much everything needed rework. I didn't see the DA around for a few years and then ran into him in a restaurant. He proceeded to tell me he had been earning a 6 figure income for the prior two years building western style homes in Japan! I didn't know how to respond to that information as it was unfathomable... Probably put a serious hurting on the industry in Japan too once people started to understand what garbage work the guy really did! LOL
My problem is I do construction like it's furniture. ;~) I know it, and I also know it's nuts! LOL The facia and soffits on my house are, after renovation, perfectly level in all directions and in one plane... come put a laser level on it and see for yourself! LOL When the day comes that all the interior renovation work is completed it will be of similar caliber... assuming I get it all done in the next 20-25 years. ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

The sad part is that you have to jokingly refer to that kind of attention to detain as doing it "like it's furniture."
There is no reason for it to be any different. I've always said, "There are a million ways to do something, and one right way." You did it the right way.
There is no reason for anything in a house to be out of plumb or out of square or not in a straight line.
I think the main issues are unskilled, often illegal, workers, coupled with the fact that there are no GC's who do everything or use the same crews anymore. If the framers know they're going to catch heck from the drywallers, and the drywallers know they're going to catch heck from the trim guys and cabinet guys, and the plumbers and HVAC guys know that the GC is going to rip them a new one for cutting giant holes in the wrong places in joists, then they have accountability.
But they're all fly-by-nighters now and no one knows or cares who did the job or who screwed it up. The "Home Builder" is an LLC and he'll cookie-cutter as many McMansions as fast as he can, make a couple million, go bankrupt and move to the Keys until he runs out of money... then start up all over again under a different name.
--

-MIKE-

How dare you spell "politician" with a capital "P"!
1D10T wrote:

You're right Lowercase applies

not level or plumb is bad enough, just try it when they aren't even _flat_