Don't buy Jet tools at WW

Page 1 of 3
Was informed all items sold at wood workers warehouse stores are sold AS IS no warranty.
On 04 Jan 2004 20:18:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DEin2000) wrote:

Given that Woodworkers Warehouse is in the final throes of bankruptcy clearance, you're warning will have practically no effect.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On 04 Jan 2004 20:18:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DEin2000) wrote:

we in the stores knew, ALL manufacturer's warranties are in effect. In fact, nothing has been sold in "As Is" condition unless so marked. All sales were indeed "final", but what in the world does that have to do with the manufacturer's guarantee? As far as we knew, that only meant that one couldn't bring the tool back to WWW within the normal 30 day period. If this is so, then we in the stores were duped and were totally unaware of this fact. There were no signs anywhere alluding to tools being sold "As Is, No Warranty."
I cannot see how Jet cannot honor their own guarantee.
I would check into your state's consumer protection laws, there's got to be something that protects the consumer in this matter!
And besides...it's kind of a moot point by now as many of the stores are already closed and I doubt that any of the stores have any Jet machines left to sell. We sold out all machinery within the first 2 weeks after learning we were going OOB.
Our store in Norwich, Ct. was among the top 20 and this coming Friday will be the last day. I was told ALL the stores will be closed by the 15th!
Terry Sumner Asst Manager WWW Norwich, Ct. (for another week...:o)
Terry Summer writes:

Don't bet on it protection. The seller is NOT Jet, but WW. If WW stuck Jet for big bucks, which is the rumor, when they filed for bankruptcy, then Jet may be trying to save itself whatever it costs to honor warrantees.
And then again, maybe not. It's not a great move from a customer satisfaction standpoint, and the guys I've known at Jet have been very good about that.
Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor
On 04 Jan 2004 22:50:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self)

Yeah Charlie, I understand that. You may be right. But I have a hard time believing that because even though WW is the seller, there never has been a guarantee from WW. The guarantee was always with the tool manufacturer. WW never guaranteed anything. The policy was a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I know because one of my duties as Asst Mgr. was to handle all the returns from customers. Whenever any customer brought anything back that was defective, WW simply gave the customer another of the same item, no questions asked. Well...none other than, "What's wrong with it." :o)
I would then have to call the manufacturer and obtain an RGA number (Return Goods Authorization). I would then send the item back to the manufacturer and they would either send my store a replacement or credit the WW account.
And also I think that Jet would be pretty high on the list of creditors to get paid for their stuff that they were owed for. That liquidatore, Great American, bought all the inventory and that money went to the bankruptcy court, who then doles it out to the creditors. Of course I don't know this for sure...I'm just guessing. As you may be able to tell, those of us down at the store level weren't really informed very much as to what the hell was going on.
And I certainly agree with you on the bad move by Jet as to honoring their guarantees. This can only create a bad image for Jet, which will be repeated from woodworker to woodworker for years to come.
I know that if I work at some other store in the future, I sure as heck won't be so quick to recommend Jet tools if they won't stand behind them!
Terry Sumner

Terry, Last week, I heard from a guy at the Fairfield, CT store and another at Hyannis (Cape Cod) that some middle management types at WW were trying to get funding to buy at least 4 stores (maybe 10) and operate them independently.
Have you heard this?
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:44:58 -0500, Cape Cod Bob

We kept asking the Wallingford employees why they couldn't do this. The Wallingford store had a great location and an excellent staff.
Barry
.

Well, we've been telling our customers about this, so I have to assume it's not a secret. Our former area manager, who would be that "middle manager type", has teamed up with the owner of Western Tool Supply to open up a series of stores out here in the eastern part of the country. He plans on opening at least 11 stores very quickly, with most of them in the same areas if not the actual former locations of the defunct WWW stores. That is of course, if the leases can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction.
One of the first, if not the first to open will be in the Old Saybrook, Conn. location. Also slated for openings are Hyannis, Mass. and Port Chester, New York. There are around 8 others too, but I don't know where they are. These new stores are not connected to WWW in any way, shape or form.
This is why I had asked about what the Western Tool Supply company's stores were like. If I'm going to work there, I was just wondering what the stores were like. It is my understanding that Western carries pretty much the same lines of tools that WWW carried and maybe more.
To me, this is very exciting and I'm really looking forward to working there, even though it's 40 miles from my home! And with my vehicle's gas mileage, that's gonna be a big ouch!
If all goes well and there are no glitches, we could be up and running in the next few weeks. I just hope it really comes to pass and nothing comes up to screw the whole works up!
Terry

From your typing finger to God's ear. Heard that the Auburn, MA store was included.

with my area, Norwich. He said he does want to open in Auburn and Norwich in the second round of openings. That's why I gotta drive 40 miles to Old Saybrook for a while...maybe a year! :o(
Terry

ya might want to consider picking up something smaller and more fuel efficient for the commute....     Bridger
Terry Summer writes:

Congratulations on finding a new job so quickly.
On the vehicle front, you might want to consider doing what I did some years ago when I was working an extended contract 35 miles from my house: my Dodge D150 got lousy mileage; I parked it and bought a used Geo Metro (no longer made, but still available used) for about $4500. The difference in mileage (the Geo made the trip on about 1-3/4 gallons, the Dodge took 5) paid for the Geo fairly quickly at a savings of about $15 a week at that time.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
On 07 Jan 2004 10:32:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

A few years back, I had a '78 Lincoln with a 460. I LOVED that car. I ended up with a 35 mile commute. I bought a NEW 1991 Mazda Protege and the payment, insurance, and fuel were less than the monthly fuel bill on the Lincoln <G>
Barry
Charlie Self wrote:

Not as cheap, certainly, but if I were buying today, and had money, I'd look at one of the hybrids for this kind of thing.
If I had money, I'd already own a hybrid. Perfect for me. I'd do much of my running on the batteries. Cut my gas bill down from $20 per six weeks to maybe $20 a year. :)
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:38:26 -0500, Silvan

Hybrids are great in stop and go city driving, but hardly save anything on highway driving. This has been the experience of people at the Yukon Energy Solutions Centre, where they bought one a year ago and have been testing it out. I tried it out, but I was constantly distracted by the display that shows how much energy is generated or used.

My inlaws have a 2002 Prius. Great car, but the above is true, it's better in city and suburban driving. What a great car!
Barry
scribbled:

You can turn the displays off if you like...
"Hybrids hardly save anything on the highway", compared to what?
The currently available hybrids in the US for purchase: 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, CVT, 47 MPG city, 48 MPG highway http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19580.shtml
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, manual, 45 MPG city, 51 MPG highway http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19582.shtml
2004 Honda Insight, CVT, 57 MPG city, 56 MPG highway http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19356.shtml
2004 Honda Insight, manual, 60 MPG city, 66 MPG highway http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19357.shtml
2004 Toyota Prius, eCVT, 60 MPG city, 51 MPG highway http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19794.shtml
here's a brief description of how the EPA fuel economy estimates are obtained (their definitions of city or highway driving certainly do not match my driving style...): http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#estimates
On 8 Jan 2004 10:07:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kluge.net (Michelle Vadeboncoeur) scribbled:

Yeah, but they're really cool. :-) I guess after a while, I would get used to them & only check them when needed, like a speedometer.

Compared to what it costs using other small cars owned by workers at the Yukon Energy Solutions Centre, according to them. The calculations were done how much was paid for the gas needed to drive between Whitehorse and Dawson City - 538km each way in very little traffic on a two lane highway. Probably driving between 100 and 130 km/h. So not a rigourous scientific test, but nevertheless indicative of what to expect under those conditions. Basically, they found that the electric motors hardly came on at all; the Prius was running on the gas engine practically all the time. We're talking about people who have a professional interest and expertise in energy efficiency, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Note the higher gas consumption on highway, which provides another indication of my point, which was that they are not all that economical for highway driving. But I should have added a bunch of caveats: i.e., I was talking about the Prius (not the Hondas), constant relatively high speed driving, etc. This is one case where the YMMV acronym is literally true. :-)
How are they in the slush and snow? I've seen a few up here, but they were driven by snowbirds, and they looked mighty low. Dealers don't carry 'em because they don't want to be the first to find out they're inadequate.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:47:28 -0500, "George"

My inlaw's Prius is excellent in slush and reasonable snow. If it's deep snow, they are like most other cars. The snowpack may cause clearance problems.
If there's DEEP snow, they have a Subaru Outback as their other car, which is the best winter vehicle I've ever seen. The inlaws picked up their Subie after seeing what mine did for two winters. Our other car is a Jeep Wrangler Sport with 31" tires, and the Subaru is easily our first choice in major snow!
Barry