Don't buy Green Paint Thinner

Page 1 of 2
Working on a mantel for a customer and the plan was to paint it with enamel. Well I live in Environmentally Friendly California and the only Oil Base paints sold are those crappy Alkyd Paints, which I hear after Jan.1 no oil base paints will be sold here. Went to Dunn-Edwards who I'm told have some of the best paints, picked up some Oil Based Primer, Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel, and the only substitute for Mineral Spirits sold in the store, "Green Envy" paint thinner. This crap actually made the paint thicker! I thought it was my gun at first after thinning it more then I thought I should. It took forever to spray this piece. Went down to Home Depot and bought some Mineral Spirits, and thinned it properly and all went well except for some orange peel. Sanded it when dry and used the Mineral Spirits with the White Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel. I just could not believe the time I wasted with this "Green Shit" thanks to the Liberal Asshole Politicians in this Environmentally Friendly Sinking Fast State. They say so goes California so goes the Nation. God Help you, he has abandoned me!
One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has had to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and still enjoy this weather?
Rich I will post pics on my website when complete http://rentmyhusband.biz /
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 12/30/2010 7:35 PM, Rich wrote:

I got mine (Certified Renovator certificate earlier this year), and I'm not a painter ... I just didn't want to be held up by one via government edict.
Nothing personal, but please stay out of Texas, we're full of these shitheads who move here, then agitate to change the laws to what they've been brainwas.. led to believe.
<kidding, of course> ... thanks! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

hahaha, Hey I'm one of the good guys..
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot or too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around us or are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski area. Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until I die. ww

WW wrote:

Read my mind. Thought about Durango, Co. or there abouts
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City. Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is Monarch to the west... WW
WW wrote:

Use to live in Colorado. Englewood, which I went back to while vacationing through Colorado. I didn't even recognize it! Use to live in Georgetown and Silver Plume when I was on the Ski Patrol at Loveland. Also had a summer house in Lake Grandby. Know Canon City well and have been over Monarch Pass many times. Have skied most areas in CO but my favorite ski area in CO is Telluride. All time favorites Atla and Snowbird, UTAH!!!!
I know its cold in Durango and gets lots of snow but I just love that town. Would love to restore one of those 1880's Victorians, besides it close to Wolf Creek Pass Ski Area and not to mention Telluride!!! Can you tell I love POWDER??????
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Putting that out on the net might not have been a good idea.
WW wrote: Snip

Spent the night in Canon City once. Lovely little town!
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Rich wrote:

And don't eat the yellow snow.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Rich wrote:

It's for the CHILDREN, you devil!.

I taught my children how to shoot. That way, when we have to start killing politicians to make the rest of them listen, they can hit what they aim at. Conservation you know. Wouldn't want to waste bullets.
CW wrote:

Ah, but are you supplying the children with wooden (or other biodegradables such as paper mache or reusables like stone) ammunition?
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:23:35 +0000, Disbelief wrote:

Steel was being made in India by 300BC and swords were made of it in the Middle East by about 1100AD. Long time before industrialization.
We'd all be better off without petroleum.

that of course is pure BS - see above.
no means of preserving fresh foods
Isn't it amazing how our ancestors survived the winters!

No obesity, clogged arteries, etc?

OK, I'll give you that one, but no one knows what might have taken its place if we hadn't industrialized.

Once again, seems our ancestors managed :-).
Since you like to talk in extremes, here's a few more for you to think about.
If no industrialization:
No nuclear weapons. No nerve gas. No way for epidemics to spread worldwide. No smog. No acid rain.

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 00:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Ooh! Tell us how, please. We'd lose most synthetic clothing, inks, plastics,

"here are"

Tons of death, rape, and brutality from rampant warlords. No widespread medical breakthroughs, higher infant death rate, much earlier mortality rate, etc. Not for the weak of heart.

The yersinia pestis seemed to travel around just fine, hiking on rats onto ships onto different shores, or in carts or clothes.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bubonic_plague_map_2.png
Asia, Europe, and Africa are shown on this map, no local thing.

No USENET! (hmm, no Clifftroll...) OK, 1 benefit.
-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You should have tested it first since you never used it before -- standard practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works great except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).
Father Haskell wrote:

No you are right. Someday I would just like to ask someone for something and they give me what I asked for. I asked for Mineral Spirits and she told me they don't carry it any longer. This Green Envy shit was the new substitute for it, is what she told me. Live and learn. I learned a lot on this project. And wasted a lot of time. Won't make that mistake next time.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

She didn't know a reducer from a cleanup, because most people don't know finishing, and the only job qualification she had was passing a urine test.

The green alternative sold by Rockler is horrible too, and it's marketed as a straight up replacement.
# Thins all colors of oil-based paint, stain, and varnish # Cleans brushes, paint splatters and equipment # Cleans and preps surfaces for finishing or painting
a) It's milky colored so you are not going to be putting it in a clear finish b) It's foamy, so you are not going to be putting it in, well, anything c) It's leaves a white residue if you wipe it on anything, so you aren't going going to be using it for any prepping or checking how the grain is going to look d) It doesn't even work for cleanup. I spent 3-4 minutes trying to get some finish off my hands. Came off in 10 seconds with the real stuff.
-Kevin