Don't buy Green Paint Thinner

Working on a mantel for a customer and the plan was to paint it with enamel. Well I live in Environmentally Friendly California and the only Oil Base paints sold are those crappy Alkyd Paints, which I hear after Jan.1 no oil base paints will be sold here. Went to Dunn-Edwards who I'm told have some of the best paints, picked up some Oil Based Primer, Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel, and the only substitute for Mineral Spirits sold in the store, "Green Envy" paint thinner. This crap actually made the paint thicker! I thought it was my gun at first after thinning it more then I thought I should. It took forever to spray this piece. Went down to Home Depot and bought some Mineral Spirits, and thinned it properly and all went well except for some orange peel. Sanded it when dry and used the Mineral Spirits with the White Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel. I just could not believe the time I wasted with this "Green Shit" thanks to the Liberal Asshole Politicians in this Environmentally Friendly Sinking Fast State. They say so goes California so goes the Nation. God Help you, he has abandoned me!

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has had to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and still enjoy this weather?

Rich I will post pics on my website when complete

Rich

I got mine (Certified Renovator certificate earlier this year), and I'm not a painter ... I just didn't want to be held up by one via government edict.

Nothing personal, but please stay out of Texas, we're full of these shitheads who move here, then agitate to change the laws to what they've been brainwas.. led to believe.

... thanks! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot or too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around us or are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski area. Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until I die. ww

Reply to
WW

Read my mind. Thought about Durango, Co. or there abouts

Reply to
Rich

hahaha, Hey I'm one of the good guys..

Reply to
Rich

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City. Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is Monarch to the west... WW

Reply to
WW

Use to live in Colorado. Englewood, which I went back to while vacationing through Colorado. I didn't even recognize it! Use to live in Georgetown and Silver Plume when I was on the Ski Patrol at Loveland. Also had a summer house in Lake Grandby. Know Canon City well and have been over Monarch Pass many times. Have skied most areas in CO but my favorite ski area in CO is Telluride. All time favorites Atla and Snowbird, UTAH!!!!

I know its cold in Durango and gets lots of snow but I just love that town. Would love to restore one of those 1880's Victorians, besides it close to Wolf Creek Pass Ski Area and not to mention Telluride!!! Can you tell I love POWDER??????

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich wrote: BTW the name of that crap Paint Thinner, Green Envy! How Ironic

Reply to
Rich

Putting that out on the net might not have been a good idea.

Reply to
CW

And don't eat the yellow snow.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

WW wrote: Snip

Spent the night in Canon City once. Lovely little town!

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Reply to
HeyBub

I taught my children how to shoot. That way, when we have to start killing politicians to make the rest of them listen, they can hit what they aim at. Conservation you know. Wouldn't want to waste bullets.

Reply to
CW

Steel was being made in India by 300BC and swords were made of it in the Middle East by about 1100AD. Long time before industrialization.

We'd all be better off without petroleum.

that of course is pure BS - see above.

no means of preserving fresh foods

Isn't it amazing how our ancestors survived the winters!

No obesity, clogged arteries, etc?

OK, I'll give you that one, but no one knows what might have taken its place if we hadn't industrialized.

Once again, seems our ancestors managed :-).

Since you like to talk in extremes, here's a few more for you to think about.

If no industrialization:

No nuclear weapons. No nerve gas. No way for epidemics to spread worldwide. No smog. No acid rain.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You should have tested it first since you never used it before -- standard practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works great except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

Reply to
Father Haskell

No you are right. Someday I would just like to ask someone for something and they give me what I asked for. I asked for Mineral Spirits and she told me they don't carry it any longer. This Green Envy shit was the new substitute for it, is what she told me. Live and learn. I learned a lot on this project. And wasted a lot of time. Won't make that mistake next time.

Reply to
Rich

I won't!

Its amazing I have made it this far. My God, no helmet when riding a bike, motorcycle or skiing. No knee pads when walking down the street. I climbed trees when I was younger how on earth did I survive? Drove field cars until we crashed them and then did the environmentally sound thing, buried them with a back hoe. Wow, what would they say these days. I could probably be brought up on charges. Reckless endangerment of the Earth, oh my! Seems most of us are/were getting along fairly well without all these Pin Head Regulations. Yes please use Common Sense and do your part to try to make it at least better or the same as you found it.

Reply to
Rich

should have tested it first since you never used it before -- standard practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works great except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

------------------------------------ Count me among the turps smell lovers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ah, but are you supplying the children with wooden (or other biodegradables such as paper mache or reusables like stone) ammunition?

Reply to
HeyBub

Can you buy turpentine in California? Probably can, since it's 100% natural (like belladona or opium).

Reply to
HeyBub