Does Wood Stain Affect Carpenter's Glue

I want to glue on a piece of molding after staining both pieces, but before finishing, probably with poly. Does stain affect the glue-up strength? It doesn't seem like it would, but I just wanted to check.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Depends...what kind of stain? What kind of glue?
Oil stain means the wood has been sealed which means normal (yellow, white) wood glue won't penetrate which means a lousy glue joint.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Elmer's to Titebond.
Minwax or Cabot stain.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Those are both brands, not specific products. If the oil-based stains, no, you'll not get a good glue joint at all. If water-based, a chance although I have not researched closely what the manufacturer says on the subject.
I would _NOT_ stain the mating surfaces--either assemble first, then finish or tape or otherwise protect the joining faces or use enough care to keep them clean.
Why risk the effort expended to date w/ a haphazard approach when get to the glue-up stage????
Buck Turgidson wrote:

If you possibly can, mask the area that will be glued.

Typically any thing you put on wood is going to affect glue strength. Does that matter? Maybe.
If you are staining first because the piece is too small to easily stain in its final location glue strength may not be a big worry. If the molding you are talking about is relatively small or light weight you really dont need a monster bond. Even a marginal adhesion should hold it in place providing it is not subject to being banged on knocked loose. If small you might also consider a gel super glue which will hold better than your typical yellow glue.
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:28:16 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

Most likely. It is best to use carpenters glue with bare unfinished wood on all mating surfaces. Protect the area to be glued with painter's tape before staining.