Does this auction smell wrong to you?

Page 2 of 2
jtpr wrote:

It's gone! Can't find that item as of 6:36 EST 1/24
Yeah, they yanked it shortly after I emailed their fraud dept about the auction.
Nothing to see here, move along...
Larry Bud wrote:

I had also filed a report just before you did. Isn't it fun gettin'' the bad guys?! Like that saw tho'...
-jtpr

I rarely buy off Ebay and it's mostly little things but I could get burned quite easily. I know little about the service. I learned a lot here and I'm glad you guys in the know are taking a pro active approach. You might have saved a number of people from being burned.
Gino wrote: ....

Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift to a forty-cent antique door handle from an old barn. I have so far not had a problem but I've never patronized a seller w/o a significant positive history--that seems to be a key.
BTW, IMO the lift would qualify as a major "gloat" if I were of that ilk... :)

I'll give you 6k for it. ;-) SH
Slowhand wrote:

I'm not done w/ it yet... :)
Another year or so, then <just> maybe although I've discovered more uses for it than I would have ever thought I could/would...

Oh, you mean used. ;-) They work great for decorating very tall xmas trees. SH
Slowhand wrote:

The JLG web site showed non-refurbished units of the same type (just through the same operational safety checks required by OSHA) as from $20 to $30k at the time...the $5k minimum bid seemed like a good gamble... :)
Did have to replace a head gasket but other than that it's been virtually flawless in the five years since I got it... :)

Yeah, I put a small cedar on the top of the barn when we finished the roof to celebrate... :)
-dpb
Slowhand wrote:

Actually, if you're really interested, the fellow I got this one through is a broker who almost always has units available....he's in FL but brokers all over the country. The unit I got was in Chicago area but trucking was only $800 (and he paid $200 of it because he was "sure" and promised it should only be $600 when I asked and offered to (and did) take the difference).
Also, if you're in the Denver area by any odd chance, I saw a 45-ft unit in last weeks FastLine used equipment digest at a place just east of Denver just off I70. I'm debating seeing what I could do w/ them as I can't <quite> get to the top of barn cupola w/ the 40-ft reach and I still have the top cap, lightning rod and weathervane to put back. If they'd swap for a small difference the other 5-foot reach would make that a much easier proposition than gearing up w/ scaffold, etc.
I have never buy anything from Ebay till late last year. I'm glad the few items I bought were from honest ppl. My wife is smarter than me she buy and sell a lot in Ebay.

Yessir, yes it is fun.
And, yeah the saw is nice. I was convinced that when the time comes, I would buy a used Cab saw to replace my old contractor's saw. This style saw is just too perfect for my needs, and there won't be a significant used market for them for another 20 years.
<sigh>