Do you work wood in a "shop" or a "studio"?

Page 1 of 3
Interesting article in the San Jose Mercury News about a famous woodworker. He doesn't create his pieces in a shop...
dave
About ten years ago we had guests for dinner; we did not know them well but they were nice people. She, trying to be interested in my obsession, asked if she could see my studio after dinner. Unfortunately, I had a mouthful of soup at the time and my shop is DEFINITELY NOT a studio....its a mess. The soup went all over the place as I laughed explosively. No, my shop is not a studio. Dave in Maine

You mean you don't call the sh*thouse the "Relief Boutique"?
... get with it, Dude!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Swingman wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

I saw your reference to the newspaper article, but unfortunately don't have access to it. Got a url where one can read it?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Swingman wrote:

Thanks for the link, Dave.
To say that I am impressed with Heitzman's craft is an understatement ...The Maloof influence is apparent, as well as the fact that the Marc Adams School of Woodworking definitely puts a stamp on its adherents, staff and student alike.
Wish I could design AND build a dining table in 60 hours! I am designing a comparatively simple one now, (new page 5 on the site) and have 12 hours just futzing with the &%&$ CAD program, and haven't even ordered the wood, or finalized the design.
BTW, the style of writing in the article, if you're from anywhere else in the world, is so "CAspeak" as to be "notable" ... I started to say "painful", but decided to be polite. ;>)
Good reading ... thanks for posting the link and bringing it to, IMO, deserved, attention.
Man, if we could just replace a show with the frequency of DIY's "Warehouse Whoopdedoo", with a TV series by Heitzman ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/16/04
Swingman wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Must be similar to "DCspeak" because I did notice anything unusual about it either.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip
"prissy"...hmmm must be the PC way to say it nowadays?
<rubs eyes>
Traves, is that really you?
Good to read you again, didja get lost in that truck of yours?
Greg
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message

Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

its me!
lol no,,,just trying to keep myself in the shop and with the misses a bit more often. . . got a few of my priorities in order,,,,lol
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote:

Don't wanna get sued these days. BTW, How do you pronounce your name? I figured that it was the same as Travis, but I heard it pronounced Travs. OT, I know, but it's beeen bugging me. Dave (standard enunciation) in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:25:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

yep its Travis with an E...say it the same. and lemme tell ya, it was a PITA growing up with that spelling, and it continues to this day. . . its been pronounced Trayvs, travs, and once in a blue moon, Travis.
but i can honestly say, i am the only one i have ever seen spelled this way...might have been my dads fault,,,he cant spell worth a damn! hehe
"Traves W. Coppock" shed light upon a murky world with:

That's what I figured, thanks. It was from the Woodworking magazine on a DVD, BTW. Yeah I can see how that might grow a fast pair of hands on you coming up. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message Crawled out of the

Traves W. Coppock <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote:

Wow. It took me a long time to get around to answering this message.
I started answering it last night. I was most of the way done when my dog freaked out and ran under the computer desk. He hit the power switch.
I lost the message, and the computer. The damn thing had been running for several months uninterrupted 24/7 without a hitch, and it up and died after being shut off last night.
I spent hours and hours swapping parts around. Three computers in the house, none of them running.
Mine is DOA. Best I can tell, the motherboard took a dump for absolutely no reason. Under no circumstances should powering off a computer via the damn off switch kill it, but that's exactly what happened. Some component was going, I guess, and the power cycle killed it, like a light bulb almost always burning out when you turn it on.
So after swapping parts back around, I was luckily finally able to get something to work, but it sure isn't pleasant.
I started answering this message on a 1 GHz Athlon system. Old by today's standards, but it was a nice enough machine. Now I'm using a hybrid. The RAM from my computer, and my hard drive, grafted into some old POS Gateway computer someone was throwing away, which I had intended to use as a diskless workstation on my LAN.
Now this old POS is my *server*. Though there's currently nothing to serve. I won't be using it as a terminal, and the other terminal needs a power supply. The old server is more usless than my Crapsman router, and that's really sad.
It's a screaming Pentium II 233. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not exactly thrilled either. Luckily it was modern enough that I could drop my hard drive and RAM into it, or it wouldn't be tolerable at all. As it turned out, once I got in via a rescue disc to rearrange /etc fstab and recompile my kernel for this piece of crap processor (Intel, you suck!), everything worked. The video card is of the same general flavor as my newer one, and the same driver works. Linux adjusted itself to everything else with perfect aplomb, and it just booted and started working once I could boot it.
Even still, it was a hell of a lot of trouble, and it was all your fault, Traves.
I forgot what I was going to say to you last night.

No, but then I don't invite strangers into my toilet to admire the form and colour of my "creations" and (if they have enough money) take one home with them or commission me to make a special one just for them.
--
Regards,

Benoit Evans
Dave W wrote:

Hee... I can see myself in a similar spot. It's not a shop, it's a shed. Oh. Um. It's not a shed, it's a shop!
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:22:29 +0000, Bay Area Dave wrote:

It's all about newspeak.
"shop" sounds less classy than "studio".
Give them what they are looking for (in this case, "studio") and you can get more for your work.
We all do it, we speak in embellishing ways. A rose is a rose is a rose until it becomes something special with a moniker descriptive or each hybrid.