Do you have a dual drum sander?

My dual drum sander came with 5" wide sandpaper on its drums. The drums are 5" diameter. I couldnt find 5" paper in stock so I bought some (a lot?) of 3" paper. The problem is that when I wind the paper around the drum it doesnt line up to the slot on the right hand end the way the original 5" paper did. I can't get the end trimmed properly to get it into the catch. I think I must not be cutting the start side to the proper angle although the paper is winding on at about 45degrees which looks like a good angle. Is there a template for cutting different widths of paper or do I just have to experiment and waste a lot of expensive paper?
Tom in Victoria

[...]
Experiment and waste cheap packing paper or old newspapers. Once you find the right cut move to expensive sandpaper...
Tom Woodman wrote:

Wind it on then run a pencil around the underside on the right, trim to pencil line.