Do they make a concrete mix that.... Little OT

Page 2 of 2

Sure... rub it in. :)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Ah, you betcha. ;)
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:

Had a guy in our hometown who spent 10+ years building a boat out of concrete and steel, poured in place.
All that's necessary for it to float is that it displace enough water, and as most of the volume is air (think about it) it wasn't that tall an order, much as my 7yo self had trouble believing it.
spake:

concrete boats have been around for a long time. they work well, until the internal metal support starts to rust.

When my _father_ was in secondary school the *first* of the big crepe-soled shoes came out. A local shoe store put a fish-tank in their window, with about a half-tank of water, and one of these shoes floating thereon. Big sign: "So light it *FLOATS*!!" Some smart-ass kid (no _not_ my father!) took a sheet of his notebook paper, and stuck it to the aforementioned window with a couple of those glue-on re-inforcing rings for the punched holes, and then scribbled on the paper "So does a battleship".
The entire display was _gone_, the next day.
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:25:02 -0500, "Joe"
......and in reply I say!:

But that's only for Kunadiuns and people from Canvas Sity....
snipped-for-privacy@covad.net says...

They make a concrete that is mixed with Styrofoam beads. I believe it's used to insulate steam pipes. I seem to recall it took a special coating on the beads to prevent them from clumping, do I don't know if it a DIY type of thing.
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com writes:

That sounds like hypertuffa. :-)
Glenna

Expanding polyurethane ?
As Thomnas has sadi, are you sure it needs to be solid?
ALso, depends on your level of desire and skill, bu a combination of styrofoam and glass strand impregnation would make the concrete both stronger (thinner) and lighter. Styro balls will weaken the concrete. The lighter you get, the more balls you need....... to trust it! Ark ark boom boom........

Actually Ytong concrete will float. It was going to be the miracle building material but US building inspectors seemed to hate it. Might make a boat
: Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like : concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or : something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill : up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't : want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.
Poke around forums on vacuum veneering, like
http://www.vacupress.com
You'll find info on dense foam products that are both lightweight and strong eoungh to withstand a lot of compression.
    -- Andy Barss