Do they make a concrete mix that.... Little OT

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:08:15 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

"Concrete canoe" will probably work even better, Joe. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

"Koncrete Kanue" is what I had in mind to type... :)

Reply to
Joe

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:25:02 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

Go for it. You might even find someone who spelled it that way. I called one of my t-shirt lines the "Schnazzy" collection. Not too many people spell it that way so it's unique. The only difference is that I -intended- to do that. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

Sure... rub it in. :)

Reply to
Joe

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:32:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Joe" spake:

Ah, you betcha. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:25:02 -0500, "Joe" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But that's only for Kunadiuns and people from Canvas Sity....

Reply to
Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:39:55 -0700, "buck" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

As Thomnas has sadi, are you sure it needs to be solid?

ALso, depends on your level of desire and skill, bu a combination of styrofoam and glass strand impregnation would make the concrete both stronger (thinner) and lighter. Styro balls will weaken the concrete. The lighter you get, the more balls you need....... to trust it! Ark ark boom boom........

Reply to
Old Nick

Actually Ytong concrete will float. It was going to be the miracle building material but US building inspectors seemed to hate it. Might make a boat

Reply to
Greg

buck wrote: : Do they make any kind of "concrete type" material that gets hard like : concrete but does not weight as much like a composite or plastic or : something. Weird question I know, but I have my reasons. Looking to fill : up a 3' long 8" tube form with dense solid material like concrete, but don't : want all of the weight of concrete, but still has to be a strong solid.

Poke around forums on vacuum veneering, like

'll find info on dense foam products that are both lightweight and strong eoungh to withstand a lot of compression.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Had a guy in our hometown who spent 10+ years building a boat out of concrete and steel, poured in place.

All that's necessary for it to float is that it displace enough water, and as most of the volume is air (think about it) it wasn't that tall an order, much as my 7yo self had trouble believing it.

Reply to
Charles Krug

concrete boats have been around for a long time. they work well, until the internal metal support starts to rust.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

When my _father_ was in secondary school the *first* of the big crepe-soled shoes came out. A local shoe store put a fish-tank in their window, with about a half-tank of water, and one of these shoes floating thereon. Big sign: "So light it *FLOATS*!!" Some smart-ass kid (no _not_ my father!) took a sheet of his notebook paper, and stuck it to the aforementioned window with a couple of those glue-on re-inforcing rings for the punched holes, and then scribbled on the paper "So does a battleship".

The entire display was _gone_, the next day.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi