Do shellac flakes have a shelf life?

A few years ago (not more than 3) I bought a 16 oz jar of Behlan's super blond shellac flakes. They sat on the shelf and I just got around to trying them. 75% of the jar sort of congealed into a solid mass but there were plenty of flakes left.

Following directions in this group, I mixed about 1 oz of the flakes in about 10 oz of denatured alcohol. I periodically stired it, shook it and set it in hot water for 2 days. While it looks like the flakes dissolved, if I hold it up to the light, I can see the texture of flakes in suspension.

Yesterday I borrowed(!) the coffee grinder and ground up about an ounce into powder and mixed it with 10 oz of alcohol. Same thing. If I hold it up to the light I can see the powder in suspension. If I leave it sit for a few hours, it becomes milky at the bottom and clear amber at the top.

My question is, is this normal? Does shellac need to be stirred into suspension for each use? Or should shellac mix down to a clear mixture?

I live in a dry climate and didn't expect to find the flakes congealed.

Reply to
Joe Donohue

Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

It sounds like the shellac flakes contains wax, which is the milky stuff that settles out. Not all Behlan's shellac flakes are dewaxed. Are you sure it was their "Super Blonde" shellac and not one that contain wax?

Nova

Yes, it says "Behlan Master Super Blonde". It also says "wax free (99% pure shellac resin)". Joe Donohue

Nova wrote:

Reply to
Joe Donohue

OK. I'm going to try straining, although I didn't expect to have to do that with dewaxed flakes. The residue, especially the one made with the powder, looks quite fine in the glass. Would women's hosiery do?

Joe Donohue

Anth> I think you have to strain it 1st. The un mixed flakes will have a

Reply to
Joe Donohue