Do I really need to leave the router off my router table extension?

I have the Woodhaven TS extension. It is made with 1 1/16" laminated MDF with a 3/8" phenolic insert. I reinforced the bottom with two 1" steel bars, hoping I could just leave the router in. If that is a bad idea, do those of you with TS router tables just make or buy a blank insert for when the router is out?
-Steve

Steve, When I had a TS router table extension I kep my PC 690 in a Rouseua base for 6 years or more. The extension was homemade from an old kitchen countertop - formica over 3/4 ply (1&1/2 inches along the edges. It was fitted with a 30 inch Unifence that did double duty for the router as well as the TS. (Wow, I must be feeling like a veteran poster now that I've started abreviating tools!) Unless the manufacturer of your insert advises against it, I'm confident that you could leave the router in full time. Marc