Do I need a router table??

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:30:04 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
This cost less than $100 US and one day to make.
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/routertable2.jpg
None of the dimensions are critical. If you want to save even more money, all you need is a flat piece of plywood that you can clamp between two sawhorses.
Barry

Yes you do Sam. But... you don't need a big, heavy, free standing table that's going to consume floor space all of the time and is going to be in the way more than it's going to be used. You can make a very light, simple "table" out of a piece of plywood, glued up boards, MDF - whatever, and mount an insert in it for your router. That's it - just the board. You don't need a fancy fence set up, just a good straight board that you can clamp on the "table". When you're not using it, hang it up on the wall out of the way. When you need it, take it down and put it across a couple of saw horses, a couple of 55 gallon barrels, or whatever is handy.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Sam Berlyn wrote:

I mounted my old Crapsman in a wing of my table saw. I can use the table saw fence and it is one less thing taking up real estate.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

How did you make a hole in your table saw wing?
--
Hank Gillette

(Greg) wrote:

saw
Hey Hank - I did the same thing with a DeWalt 618 and my extensions are built out of cherry banding with MDF as the surface, so I just routed the channel for my insert to sit in and cut out the waste. The MDF in my table will soon give way to melamine though. Not because it's giving me any problems, I've just decided that I hate MDF.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
The table saw wings are heavy sheet metal with a depression in them. I cut some laminate to fill the depression and punched the hole with a chassis punch. The 3 mounting screws are countersunk into the laminate

On 03 Dec 2004 16:45:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

They sell router table extension wings for a lot of saws as well, IIRC.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:30:04 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"

Sam.... absolute no-no, but I'm going to respond to your question before reading what others have said.. (busy morning) IMHO, you know when you need a router table... you'll be working on a project eventually that you really don't feel good about free hand or clamped to a jig, and decide to build a table..
Though I was never as space-inhibited as you, the area I worked in when I first needed a router table was very small... I ended up putting a hole in the back of my work bench with router clamps under it, and an oak 1/4 and a couple of deep throat clamps as the fence.. it worked until I could advance to the next step and was free, using what I had on hand..YMMV