DJ-15 Jointer Pricing

A couple of weeks ago in my local advertisements a DJ-15 was advertised for $450.00 in what the seller referred to as very good condition. When I talked to him on the phone he said he was selling to make room for his new DJ-20. Is $450.00 a fair price for a 6 inch jointer that was purchased in the early 90's?

Joey

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Well, I think that's a steal. Especially since I have a DJ-15 that I need to sell (for the same reason) and I think it's worth $700. Of course it doesn't matter what I think, because it's sort of going to be up to whoever has enough cash to convince me of something different. That's what I'm aiming for, though.

It doesn't much matter when it was purchased (mine's about the same vintage); it's the best 6" jointer ever made. I guess some would make the argument that earlier ones made in the U.S. might somehow have a better cachet, and mine and your sellers were made in Brazil, which may be less of a cachet than U.S. made, but a better cachet than Chiwanese manufacture.

All of those $300-400 6" jointers on the market now don't even remotely compare to a DJ-15.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Was he able to keep a straight face when he told you the price? He probably paid about $350 in the early 90's. Today a brand new one with 2 year factory warranty is $500 or so.

Ask him if he'll take your Pentium 90 computer as an even trade. They were about $3k new. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Uh, the DJ-15 was a $1000+ jointer in the early '90s. Be happy to show you the invoice from mine.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

It is for THAT 6" jointer. The DJ-15 is different than just about any

6" you'll ever see.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Ed,

DJ-15!!!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

: >> Joey : >

: >Was he able to keep a straight face when he told you the price? He probably : >paid about $350 in the early 90's. Today a brand new one with 2 year : >factory warranty is $500 or so. : : Uh, the DJ-15 was a $1000+ jointer in the early '90s. Be happy to show : you the invoice from mine. :

***529.99 at Amazon***
Reply to
Bob Gramza

the 37-195 is NOT a DJ-15

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Hey Ed:

You are way off base on this one.....this jointer sold for over $1000.00 when new....check your facts before you mis-lead someone.

Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

LRod pointed out the error of may ways and my bad information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just another price point (Philadelphia) from an ad in the newspaper. On Saturday I bought a DJ-15 for $425 including spare blades and a mobile base. It is one heavy #$%^&. We disassembled it into three pieces and then moved it into my loft (second floor) shop using a handtruck. I reassembled it, cleaned off the wood dust, installed the new blades and adjusted the fence. It cuts like a dream, the tables are level and straight and its so quiet. Considering that the Jet and Delta 6" planers are now at $600 and off brands are $350 to $450, I'm a very pleased owner. And the cast iron bed is longer on the DJ-15.

Reply to
Howard

You suck.

And you break my heart. It appears I may not get out of my DJ-15 what I think I should. Thank god I have a DJ-20 to lessen the impact.

You'll love the '15. I'd never get rid of mine if it weren't for the '20.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I would say a good buy for good used tools is 50% of retail. And that is for excellent condition. Jointers (new or used) with a warped bed is not worth 2 cents. A flat fence with no rust is important too.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is for a DJ-15.

So.... exactly where was this local ad??? :-)

Reply to
brian roth

THIS is a DJ-15:

The tables operate like a DJ-20 or 30, not like your typical Chiwanese machine. It also has a taller fence than most 6" machines.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

As a matter of fact, that's MY DJ-15. Well, actually it's a marketing picture of it, but it's representative of the one in my shop, and that's from my site. Thanks for visiting.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Thanks for all the rsponses, but my hesitation was too much. Someone with more money and more sense than me has purchased it.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Rod, Is right. I bought mine in 93 and it was just over 1100. DJ-15 no longer sold. SO price on AMazon is not representative or is not DJ-15. Delta has made other 6" jointers.

Reply to
JLucas ILS