Dismantling/recycling old barn

My husband and I have an old (160 years) barn on our property. We're interested in having it removed. We've received some quotes (high $$) but one of the contractors suggested that we might find an organization interested in dismantling it in exchange for the materials.
We live in Massachusetts -- does anyone have any leads on this sort of thing? I've done a bit of Googling and will continue ("dismantling old barns" "salvaging old wood") but was also hoping for a dead on lead.
Thanks in advance, Sara
In addition to the company srazor named, Yankee Barn Homes (Upper CT Valley, near Hanover, NH) builds homes from reclaimed lumber. They may pay you, maybe not -- dunno', but give them a call.
sjl wrote:

Folks -- first off, thank you SO MUCH for the replies. I'm delighted with all of the good ideas and very grateful, too. Also, apologies for the "double posting" of my first post...I was having trouble with google/deja.
Along those lines...would someone repost the company "srazor" offered up? I don't see his/her post on google...not sure if it will eventually show up or not but it seems as those some of you (G. Lewin for sure) can see it while I cannot. Again, thanks for the help.
Sara

His reply didn't get attached to this thread, which is why you might not see it. For future reference, you can always do a search at www.dejanews.com (not trying to be snide, just informative), but the gist of his message was contact: <http://www.pioneermillworks.com . It didn't come up for me the first time, but hitting Reload worked (either their machine or mine is too slow).
sjl wrote:

Deja!?! that is SOOO twothousandone. Get with the times, man.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (sjl) wrote in (If that doesn't work, I have another address.) He's in Ashby, MA, when he's not out scouring the world's back storerooms, rescuing tools from rust and neglect. I'd be surprised if he couldn't put you in touch with the sorts of folk who would be interested in your barn.
Patriarch, a Californian, with a drawer full of old Stanleys from Patrick's stash...
On 17 Aug 2004 11:25:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (sjl) calmly ranted:

Sara, give the timber framing folks a call. They love taking down old barns and salvaging the wood. One such group is www.tfguild.org and any one of their members might want such an opportunity. That helps keep the art of timberframing alive, too.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
sjl wrote:

Ahhh. A barn razing bee.     j4

T'was a nice barn, English...
;-)
My husband and I have an old (160 years) barn on our property. We're interested in having it removed. We've received some quotes (high $$) but one of the contractors suggested that we might find an organization interested in dismantling it in exchange for the materials.
We live in Massachusetts -- does anyone have any leads on this sort of thing? I've done a bit of Googling and will continue ("dismantling old barns" "salvaging old wood") but was also hoping for a dead on lead.
Thanks in advance, Sara

Around here (northern VT), there are several local types who make their living taking apart unwanted buildings for salvage at no cost. I doubt they would be willing to travel out of state though. They usually don't advertise and keep a low profile. I would try asking around some more for someone in your area. Try asking at antique stores or the like that sell refurbished materials. Stopping by a residential construction site and asking some of the guys might also turn up someone.
Good luck.
-samofvt
Sara ...
<<My husband and I have an old (160 years) barn on our property. We're interested in having it removed. We've received some quotes (high $$) but one of the contractors suggested that we might find an organization interested in dismantling it in exchange for the materials.>>
Have you asked "This Old House?" Check the "Resources" section on their website (www.thisoldhouse.com ) or maybe even send them an e-mail. Since you're in Massachusetts, maybe they'll even want it themselves.
Lee

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (sjl) wrote in message
We live in Massachusetts -- does anyone have any leads on this sort of

Try Bob Peck ( Northern CT ) at 860-668-1956.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (sjl) wrote in message

Hi Sara, Do you have Amish in your area? Just an idea. Sorry for the loss, by the way. I know it's kind of tough to make the decision to take them down but sometimes there's no repair. I'm speaking from experience. I saved some of the barn boards off ours to do the walls in my pantry. I also have a stack in the grainary that I want to have something built out of for the previous owners who raised 6 kids here. Jana