dining room table veneer help

I recently purchased an Ethan Allen table which is an espresso finish. My wife left a scented oil thingy on the runner and some oil must have leaked through. I don't think it damaged the wood but the protective finish and the stain was removed and a bubbly residue remains. I can't get anyone to help on such a small project and Ethan Allen has been useless. At this point I'm going to try to do this myself. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I can send you pictures if you want to try to help me. Thanks.

Reply to
zdiddy404

Without seeing what you have, without knowing what type of finish it is, without knowing what kind of sheen you are looking at, without knowing if it is tinted one step clear spray finish or not, without knowing how the finish is applied....

you are up against it.

While suggestions are good, they won't be much more than that. If it is a valued piece, take to to a finish repair shop. If the oils dissolved the finish (no matter what the finish is) then no doubt they penetrated the wood.

To attempt to neutralize the effects of the remaining oil left on the wood (penetrated?) to leave a bondable substrate for your finish while matching an existing color is not for the inexperienced.

Good luck, and I mean that sincerely.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I feel your pain. The SAME EXACT thing happened to me with an Ethan Allen piece. What happened is the oil dissolved the lacquer finish. Because Ethan uses a lacquer toned with a stain (glaze) the stain was dissolved with the lacquer.

If the effected area is small (quarter-ish or smaller) you might be able to fill it with some lacquer/dye. Get yourself some trans-tint dye

and some lacquer
Tint the lacquer and test on scrap until you get a decent match and fill the effected area and let dry. This worked for me because the effected area was about the size of a quarter.

If the above doesn't work then you will have to re-finish the entire top.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

I should add that you will have to remove all of the lacquer that was damaged from the top. Use a rag and rub it until you can't remove any more by hand. I should also add that mine was damaged from the scented oil that you put in a ring over a lamp bulb. Some how it dripped on the table.

(Disclaimer: Your results may vary from mine.)

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks