Diefenbach Bench

I'm looking to buy a quality woodworking bench. Any opinions on Diefenbach benches? Alternatives? Many thanks Tony
For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have some fun in the process!

Do you think a commercial fisherman builds his own boat?
--
Hank Gillette

Actually, I live in a fishing village and can attest that a good many commercial fishermen built their own boats in the days of wood vessels. Even today, some buy a fiberglas hull and "finish the boat off". This way they save a ton of money and they have complete control over the quality of the work.

Hank Gillette wrote:

oystermen and fishermen do just that. Out of plywood. Saw an article not too long ago in which a landlord was complaining of an ex tenant stealing the floor out of the mobile home he was renting from her, he needed a new boat.

Totally agree. Build it! I built the Shopnotes bench, and it was one of the most satisfying things I ever did. I use it almost very time I go into the shop. I also learned quite a bit doing it.
It is the center of my shop.
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:14:10 -0500, "Dave W"

If you don't need a bench to build one, why do you need one?
Just kididng. However, it is not necessary for a woodworker to build his own bench, make his own planes and chisels etc.. There are some things that can be bought so that you can get on with the things you do want to spend time on.
That said, if you feel like building one for the joy of it ...go for it. I inherited mine, 9' by 2'6", from a neighbour when moving: solid maple, even the drawer handles, with a ton of drawer space, so that's even better. Now I build stuff for the kids mostly.
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:14:10 -0500, "Dave W"

Nope.
The ultimate bench? Build it. A bench to get rolling? Buying one isn't so bad.
It takes a while to know what the ultimate bench means.
Barry
Thanks to all who have replied saying I should build a bench, not buy one. I've seriously considered this, and the bottom line is that my workshop time (which I don't get enough of!) is for making musical instruments, and I don't want the diversion of making a bench.
If anyone has a Diefenbach bench and is willing to venture an opinion on quality, durability, etc, I'd be pleased to hear from them. Likewise, if anyone has another make of quality bench, I'd like to hear their opinions on that too.
Thanks Tony

It might be too big for your intended use. I've seen Luthiers with a small pile of plywood pieces just large enough to clamp up a guitar and a fixture that allows easy repositioning of the workpiece.
This allows them to have several projects in progress at once but not requiring them to reclamp each one.
There's a chapter in The Workbench Book that has similar ideas.