Dewalt vs. Makita biscuit joiner

Would appreciate comments as t pros and cons of each machine. I am actively seeking a replacement of my old system and would like to hear commets from users before I go buy. Also, has anyone tried the cordless Dewalt?

Reply to
Bill Little

I cannot say much about the Makita, but I have owned a Dewalt DW682 for about five years and I am very satisfied.

I have looked at both in the store and motor casings appear to be similar. My Dewalt seems to have a little more going for it at the cutting head end. While both heads seem similar, the protractor markings and quick adjust knob on the Dewalt just seem to be clearer and easier to read. The head also seems a little beefier - again opinion based on memory not side by side comparison. The chip collector bag does help but about 1/2 or more of the chips end up on the table and floor. I think it catches a lot of debris that might end up on you faceshield. The Dewalt is easy to use and has plenty of torque (enough to be dangerous if your mind wanders).

With my experience with both brands, you'll probably do ok with either. Might be a best price decision.

Reply to
RonB

I have a DeWalt and really like it. The PC model does FF biscuits, which the DeWalt doesn't do. I don't miss the FF capability.

I have no interest in a cordless plate joiner for several reasons. I always use a ShopVac with auto-switch when cutting biscuits, with a cordless I'd have to turn the vacuum on myself. There's a hose, which the cord wraps neatly around, so it's not a big deal anyway. My plate joiner is pretty much always used at my bench, which has overhead AC available, so why mess with batteries?

I LOVE cordless drills, my Makita cordless trim saw, etc... I don't see an advantage with a cordless plate joiner. If you plan on using it in the field a lot, you may see a difference.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I don't think I would appreciate the cordless model enough to justify owning one. I figure a corded model will outlast the cordless model many times over if you include battery replacement. Look how long other corded tools last. I have never found the cord to be that big of a problem. Maybe your situation is different.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Porter Cable 557 hands down!

Reply to
TDUP

I haven't played with the Makita, but I don't see how it could be better than the dewalt 682...

Especially with the rack & pinion adjustment... also, the craftsman model that retails for $180 MUST be made by dewalt.. way too close to not be..

I've been following them on ebay for a few months and the most popular biscuit jointer (of the name brands) is the 682, by a very wide margin... I tried bidding on 10 of them before I gave up and just bought one new... all the used ones went for $95 or more plus shipping..

I'm not a big cordless fan, except for screwdrivers... I work mostly indoors and would rather have the power of corded and not hassle with extra batteries, etc...

I do have to do a lot of "cord management" but most of the tools that I use often (drill, palm sander, biscuit jointer, etc.) are plugged into a power strip on the ceiling and are stored on a shelf above the bench..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I've got a DW unit and I love it. Easy to use, works like a charm. There's not much to not like about it.

Reply to
drgrafix