DeWalt DW733 planer *thunk* - update & question

After replacing the drive chain with a stiff link in it last week, and reassembled the planer, I ran a few test boards through. First one went through ok. Second one, the planer resumed its "thunk thunk thunk" leaving divots. This time I completely disassembled the planer and found bushing for the roller in the exit side of the planer was almost completely worn through. In fact, there was a stress crack in one side of the bushing. I could probably peel open the bushing if I tried! I guess the stiff link in the chain caused the spindle to pull up & down until it wore the bushing out?
The amazing thing is that I have not run that many board feet through the planer. Doing more research, it appears this is not an isolated incident for these bushings to fail - they appear to be aluminum?
In any case my question is: since I am replacing the bushings, I probably should replace the rollers/spindles as well, right? Since (I would think) they would both wear evenly, particularly the one in the back that wore through the bushing?
Cheers, Dukester

bushing and show it to them. They can replace it with something much better. This is a common upgrade to many tools out there.
I had a friend who had a Craftman sander that had the bushings/bearings go out on him. He brought it in to the bearing place and the guy picked it and looked at it. He said, "Craftman sander?" He had seen it before, obviously.
Anyway, bearings/bushings are standard parts. They just put the cheap ones in to reduce cost. DO NOT replace it with the same junk! Get something good. Nuff said. End of rant. ;)
Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. Good idea though..wish I hadn't already ordered new ones from Dewalt...dang.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

yellow pages -- good folks to know...
"dpb" > wrote

projects going. I had a friend who dragged me to a bearing supply house. It was like the sunshine coming out. They helped me so much.
I went on to design a number of complicated rehab type machines. I was way over my head on these things. I would bring in some parts and do a little show and tell on their countertop. Theywould ask a few very probing. intelligent questions. Then they disappeared into the back and brought out some parts in boxes. I would buy the parts, go home and magically this thing would go together. They saved my ass again and again. For design and prototyping work, these guys are an invaluable resource.
Since that day, I have probably brought 40 - 50 people to them. Have to carry on the traditions, ya know!
Don't know of any bearing supply place nearby. Good idea though..wish I hadn't already ordered new ones from Dewalt...dang.

somebody close. These guys are in the shadows. And as Steve pointed out, you can replace a bushing with a bearing. I would seriously consider returning the bushings ordered and put in something of quality construction/materials. The current model is a piece of junk, obviously.
Don't think repair. Think upgrade.
As to my original question...shouldn't the spindle/rollers be replaced with new ones as well? I always thought it was better to replace both co-joining parts rather than half?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Inspect them; if the bushings are soft and the spindle axles are hard the wear in the axles is probably insignificant. W/O looking, I'd guess it's at least 50:50 if you went that far you could just about replace the planer for the same price.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Gawd I hate it when manufacturers use bushings instead of bearings! It's nothing more than a cost cutting measure, and there is no way a brass or aluminum bushing is going to last anywhere near as long as a good sealed ball or roller bearing.
Steve Turner wrote: ...

Think???
But you're talking about a $300 portable consumer tool in a competitive market where price is king...

The bearings are a square cast, oil-impregnated material. They are not available at a bearing supply house, they are DeWalt specific. Also, when removing the bearing blocks, if you are replacing all four of them, notice that only one of the bearings has a set of two springs on it. You must keep these two springs on the same bearing location (the other three bearing blocks only have one spring). If you don't, you could end up with more feed problems.
Usually you don't need to replace the rollers unless there is an obvious issue with them, such as deterioration or slippage.
Doug

Thanks, one of the rollers is pretty worn on the side that the bearing failed. I'll make a point of making sure about the double spring. I'm thinking now I'll fix it just to sell.
Cheers