Determine of Coating on Floor is Shellac or Old Polyurethane

I removed the wall to wall carpet from the 70 year old house I recently bought. The floors in the bedrooms appears to be pine coated with shellac or possibly polyurethane. I don't want to refinish the floors because of the beautiful patina. In only isolated spots and by the door the coating show heavy wear.
How can I find out which coating is on the floors? How can I protect and preserve the floors? What should I use to clean and preserve them?
Thanks,
Mike

If they are coated with shellac, it will dissolve with alcohol. In an inconspicuous place (or in a closet), moisten it with denatured alcohol. For years, Murphy's Oil Soap was used for floors but there may be better products now.
I'll try some denatured alcohol.
Mike

For
If there are, I haven't seen 'em.
Also great for the dash and plastic in your car and all the plastic on your computer gear. I remember how surprised I was at first to see Motorola recommending it for radio cases (don't want ammonia), but my doubts disappeared once I tried it.
I'lll pick up some Murphy's Soap.
Mike