Designing a bed

I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still have a box spring, or just the mattress?

Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

Reply to
San Diego Joe

the frame holding the drawers together IS the box spring.

look at water beds, for instance.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Depends on how high above the floor you wish the top of the mattress to be.

If you want a fairly low profile, then omit the box spring - but you will need to have a solid platform to lay the mattress on. If a higher profile is acceptable, then use a box spring - and you need only a frame and slats to support it.

May depend on the type of mattress, too. I believe some are intended for use only with a box spring, and others not.

Doug Miller

Read this month's Fine Woodworking

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Authoritative answer: "Yes".

depends on the design.

box spring + mattress means drawers end up relatively shallow and low to the floor.

"Captains bed" type eliminates the box-spring for storage. and a very firm sleep support.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Not in current issue. It was in the previous issue.

Reply to
stoutman

Fri, Mar 4, 2005, 4:38pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bizqwick.com (San=A0Diego=A0Joe) claims: I'm designing a bed that is to have drawers under it. It never occurred to me until I put pencil to paper (well mouse to CAD), but would the bed still have a box spring, or just the mattress? Any other useful information will be much appreciated.

What useful information? You want it to have a box spring, do it. If you don't, don't. That/s your call, not any of ours.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

The only thing I would suggest is check the warranty on your mattress as some require a box spring. Other than that it's just a matter of height. I have a friend who had a similar bed frame for a water bed. He later went to a mattress but with a box spring his wife (she's 4' 10") had a difficult time getting into the bed. They ended up eliminating the box spring altogether.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Fri, Mar 4, 2005, 10:02pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Mike) sez: Other than that it's just a matter of height. I have a friend who had a similar bed frame for a water bed. He later went to a mattress but with a box spring his wife (she's 4' 10") had a difficult time getting into the bed. They ended up eliminating the box spring altogether.

Shoulda made her a step.

I'm working on designing a bed too, the mechanics were easy to figure out, no prob there. It's gonna be tall enough (at mattress top - no box spring) so I can just sorta slide over the edge and be standing. I just haven't decided on the end design yet. So, I'm doing homework, and looking at different designs, borrowing something from different ones. I'm kinda thinking something Viking looking, corner posts, massive looking, very solid, using 2X12s, maybe some 4X4s. I'm quite interested in finding out what I'll come up with.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

In our case it's got a waterbed mattress. The bottom is 3/4 plywood (was MDF -- bad idea. Leaks damage plywood and destroy MDF. DAMHIKT) It's supported by the frame and the sides and backs of the drawer components. (Not the drawers themselves. The parts that would be the chest if it was free-standing.)

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

BED SIZES

Twin = 39 x 75. Twin XL = 39 x 80.

3/4 Size = 47 1/2 x 75. Full = 53 x 75. Full XL = 53 x 80. Queen = 60 x 80. Super Queen = 66 x 80. California King = 72 x 84. King = 76 x 80.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Doesn't sound like you will be coming up with it if you are "looking at different designs, borrowing something from different ones."

Reply to
stoutman

Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 3:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@a.com (stoutman) burbled: Doesn't sound like you will be coming up with it if you are "looking at different designs, borrowing something from different ones."

That's called "inspiration". Anyway, let's see you come up with something that hasn't been done before.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Come on Jack, that was said tongue in cheek. :)

Reply to
stoutman

Sat, Mar 5, 2005, 9:39pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@a.com (stoutman) enlightens me with: Come on Jack, that was said tongue in cheek. =A0 :)

Ah crap, that's what comes of thinking when I'm here, went completely over my head..

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Her husband is a carpenter...... so that was out of the question. :-)

I've only built one bed and enjoyed doing it. As you say the mechanics are simple and it's fun project. The biggest thing I learned is that once you build the bed, you get to build an armoire and two dressers to match.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

I'll assume that obligation is for the married or living with someone people.

Reply to
Upscale