Delta 50-345 Universal Mobile Base for a unisaw

I had one of these under my craftsman saw, do you think it is a good choice adapted for the unisaw?

Remember when harbor freight had a clone of these, good price, all you had to do was use better bolts? But of course, they did away with it. Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
ant30dio

It's all in the cam. There's a LOT of weight on that one wheel. For 20 bucks more, I'd go with the Steel City version with 2 wheels, shown on that same HD page, which might actually be the same one Woodcraft sells under their house name...

On sale for 50 bucks, right now.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've got an earlier version of the Woodcraft one on my contractor saw and my jointer. I like it better than a variety of stuff under my other tools. The large plates for locking/unlocking are the easy to use, unlike some with swivel wheels where the locking mechanism always seems to wind up swiveled to the inside.

OTOH, I have to remember that those large locking plates do stick out a bit - I've stubbed a toe once or twice.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes it will work. I don't like the double wheel lifts. It torques the frame while lifting. I have the delta single wheel unit and like it with Wood rails , and with steel rail too .

I also have an HTC with 2 lift wheels, I eliminated the second and center mounted the one wheel, now it's nice.

Reply to
woodchucker

Probably not. I have two of these. I used oak for the bars. With only a DP setting on it the oak bends so much that I had to take all adjustment out of the feet so that the lifting wheel could lift enough so that the feet did not drag.. I suspect thar a Unisaw would be much heavier.

Now if you used steel bars instead of wood, maybe. YMMV.

Reply to
Leon

That's bizarre. I wouldn't think there would be enough lenth on a drill press base to cause that. I would expect that on a contractor saw more than a dp (but still that baseis better than the newer unit using ply). But a unisaw should be fine, it's a smaller base.

Reply to
woodchucker

Well you do have a point with the Unisaw base being smaller. The DP base had to be expanded for stability since it was going to be mobile and not bolted to he floor.

Reply to
Leon

A trimmed out Unisaw is "around" 380lbs.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Really!? I would have thought at least 100lbs more. IIRC my old Jet was over 400, My new SawStop with mobile base and out feed is a bit over 700 lbs. Shipping weight over 800. for all additions.

Actually the new Unisaw is 624 with 36" fence according to Delta. I really can't imagine the Unisaw gaining 244 lbs with the latest version. But then again that is probably shipping weight.

Reply to
Leon

My Unisaw had a shipping weight >600lbs (640lbs, IIRC). There is no way it had 260lbs of cardboard on it. ;-)

My experience is similar.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps it contained 240lbs of hot air inside which wafted away when the cardboard was removed? :)

Reply to
none

No, hot air would have made it lighter.. :-)

Reply to
Leon

Page 54 of the sales manual:

Note that I said 380lbs for a "trimmed out" Unisaw which in my case is a standard Unisaw with a 52" fence with a

3hp motor.

The top and motor make up the majority of the weight. The cabinet and side board are fairly light.

The motor size can be from 1.5hp up to 3hp and that makes up a good bit of difference in the total weight.

A 1.5hp is 65lbs while a modern 3hp motor is around 80lbs.

Reply to
Pat Barber

The "new" Unisaw is a total redesign of the Unisaw and the weights that I see indicate a "total" weight that includes a fence and a side board which will add some weight.

I have no idea of the real weight of the new saw. The entire arbor assembly is a total redo of the old design that has been in place since 1938, so they did add some more weight to the saw.

There is no way to compare the "old" saw to the "new" saw in weights.

I own both a 1966 12"/14" tilting arbor saw and a 1971 Unisaw.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Sorry, I was thinking bought in the last 25 or so years. The early ones were much lighter in weight.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I suppose "Unisaw" is pretty vague. My ~600lb Unisaw is a 2008 "old" style. Yes, the 600lbs does include the 50" fence, two extensions, and side table (maybe all of 10 lbs ;-). It doesn't include the base (separate purchase).

Reply to
krw

The only difference between a 1956 and 2008 is the motor size and the fence types. That would explain any weight differences.

All other parts are 99.9% compatible and would weigh exactly the same. Very little changed between 1938-2008.

Older Unisaws share parts all the way up to the change over to the "new" design.

Many folks doing restores have almost no problem getting replacement parts for any Unisaw spanning many years.

Reply to
Pat Barber

That was not what I was finding when comparing the 2000 model Unisaw and the Jet. The Jet was well over 400 lbs and the Delta was heavier. I would have bought the Unisaw had it not been for the broken trunnion issues back then and the fact that the one on the sales floor had a broken trunnion too.

Reply to
Leon

Well you did say trimmed out, I don't consider that stripped down. Typically trimmed out indicates that all parts are attached. If the fence, right extension table and cast iron left and right wings are not attached I can easily see 380.

Reply to
Leon

Don't forget the 60# pallet it is mounted on for shipping.

Reply to
Leon