Delta 50-345 Universal Mobile Base for a unisaw

Page 1 of 2
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Universal-Mobile-Base-50-345/203293655#.UjRsFD-S1mo I had one of these under my craftsman saw, do you think it is a good choice adapted for the unisaw?
Remember when harbor freight had a clone of these, good price, all you had to do was use better bolts? But of course, they did away with it. Thanks, Tony D.

It's all in the cam. There's a LOT of weight on that one wheel. For 20 bucks more, I'd go with the Steel City version with 2 wheels, shown on that same HD page, which might actually be the same one Woodcraft sells under their house name...
<http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080750/33126/WoodRiver-Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware-Kit.aspx
On sale for 50 bucks, right now.
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:43:10 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Mobile-Base-Hardware-Kit.aspx>

I've got an earlier version of the Woodcraft one on my contractor saw and my jointer. I like it better than a variety of stuff under my other tools. The large plates for locking/unlocking are the easy to use, unlike some with swivel wheels where the locking mechanism always seems to wind up swiveled to the inside.
OTOH, I have to remember that those large locking plates do stick out a bit - I've stubbed a toe once or twice.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 9/14/2013 11:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes it will work. I don't like the double wheel lifts. It torques the frame while lifting. I have the delta single wheel unit and like it with Wood rails , and with steel rail too .
I also have an HTC with 2 lift wheels, I eliminated the second and center mounted the one wheel, now it's nice.
--
Jeff

Probably not. I have two of these. I used oak for the bars. With only a DP setting on it the oak bends so much that I had to take all adjustment out of the feet so that the lifting wheel could lift enough so that the feet did not drag.. I suspect thar a Unisaw would be much heavier.
Now if you used steel bars instead of wood, maybe. YMMV.
On 9/15/2013 12:01 PM, Leon wrote:

That's bizarre. I wouldn't think there would be enough lenth on a drill press base to cause that. I would expect that on a contractor saw more than a dp (but still that baseis better than the newer unit using ply). But a unisaw should be fine, it's a smaller base.
--
Jeff

Well you do have a point with the Unisaw base being smaller. The DP base had to be expanded for stability since it was going to be mobile and not bolted to he floor.
On 9/15/2013 9:01 AM, Leon wrote:

A trimmed out Unisaw is "around" 380lbs.
On 9/17/2013 1:16 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Really!? I would have thought at least 100lbs more. IIRC my old Jet was over 400, My new SawStop with mobile base and out feed is a bit over 700 lbs. Shipping weight over 800. for all additions.
Actually the new Unisaw is 624 with 36" fence according to Delta. I really can't imagine the Unisaw gaining 244 lbs with the latest version. But then again that is probably shipping weight.

My Unisaw had a shipping weight >600lbs (640lbs, IIRC). There is no way it had 260lbs of cardboard on it. ;-)

My experience is similar.
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:46:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Perhaps it contained 240lbs of hot air inside which wafted away when the cardboard was removed? :)

No, hot air would have made it lighter.. :-)

The "new" Unisaw is a total redesign of the Unisaw and the weights that I see indicate a "total" weight that includes a fence and a side board which will add some weight.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/table-saws/item/36-l336?category_id=1
I have no idea of the real weight of the new saw. The entire arbor assembly is a total redo of the old design that has been in place since 1938, so they did add some more weight to the saw.
There is no way to compare the "old" saw to the "new" saw in weights.
I own both a 1966 12"/14" tilting arbor saw and a 1971 Unisaw.

Well, I suppose "Unisaw" is pretty vague. My ~600lb Unisaw is a 2008 "old" style. Yes, the 600lbs does include the 50" fence, two extensions, and side table (maybe all of 10 lbs ;-). It doesn't include the base (separate purchase).

Don't forget the 60# pallet it is mounted on for shipping.

I figured it as half that (about the same as a cement block). Maybe I got cheated. ;-)
On 9/18/2013 10:36 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Well you did say trimmed out, I don't consider that stripped down. Typically trimmed out indicates that all parts are attached. If the fence, right extension table and cast iron left and right wings are not attached I can easily see 380.
On 9/17/2013 2:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Page 54 of the sales manual:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/4887.pdf
Note that I said 380lbs for a "trimmed out" Unisaw which in my case is a standard Unisaw with a 52" fence with a 3hp motor.
The top and motor make up the majority of the weight. The cabinet and side board are fairly light.
The motor size can be from 1.5hp up to 3hp and that makes up a good bit of difference in the total weight.
A 1.5hp is 65lbs while a modern 3hp motor is around 80lbs.

Sorry, I was thinking bought in the last 25 or so years. The early ones were much lighter in weight.
On 9/18/2013 10:57 AM, Leon wrote:

The only difference between a 1956 and 2008 is the motor size and the fence types. That would explain any weight differences.
All other parts are 99.9% compatible and would weigh exactly the same. Very little changed between 1938-2008.
Older Unisaws share parts all the way up to the change over to the "new" design.
Many folks doing restores have almost no problem getting replacement parts for any Unisaw spanning many years.