Delta 37-190 jointer question

I just purchased a used Delta 37-190 jointer. I need to have the knives sharpened. I read some reviews on Amazon before buying this jointer that the knives were very difficult to remove and htat you might have to cut off the set screws to replace the knives. Before I launch into this I'd like to find out if anyone who reads this group has this jointer and if so, what your experience has been in removing the knives.
TIA.
Dick Snyder
Dick,
The knives are very easy to remove. Anyone cutting off the set screws to remove the knives may not be very mechanically minded. The critical part of changing/sharpening the knives is reinstalling them. One of the many magnetic tools available makes part of the task very easy.
I don't know the condition of your knives. If they are just nicked in one spot rather than being real dull this can be cured by simply adjusting one knife slightly to the right and another knife slightly to the left. Leave the third one in the middle position. This adjustment will eliminate the alignment of the nicks and will again produce a smooth cut.
G.S.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:01:48 GMT, "Dick Snyder"

Yes, I have some nicks. I will try your suggestion. Not having owned a jointer before I didn't know about the magnetic tools. A quick look found this:
http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html
Do you have a favorite?
Dick
Dick Snyder wrote:

I use a very old, large horseshoe magnet inherited from my dad. Works perfect. I once looked on line to see if I could find a similar magnet but no luck. But I was just curious, not on a real search mission.
It works the same as the one listed above, but more nostalgic.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Dick Snyder wrote:

I used to have one; the knives were very easy to remove. Never had to even think about cutting off the set screws.

Uh...have you considered reading the manual and following the instructions ?
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/SearchResults.aspx?q7-190
You will also find that a new set of blades is quite easy to install "if" you follow the instructions and don't screw the setting up while removing the blades.
If you don't have the correct tools, do not start the job until you have them.
Don't get your woodworking information from a book seller web site.
Dick Snyder wrote:

Of course I read the manual before doing this posting. The manul makes no mention of a problem with the set screws. What spooked me was this comment from a user on Amazon:
"In order to adjust the blades though, you may need to cut off the set screws and replace them. This is recommended solution from customer service as this problem is quite common. Apparently they torque the set screws too tight, and I broke 3 wrenches and 1 drill bit trying to loosen those."
Maybe the guy was just full of it but I thought I would find out the experience of others in this newsgroup who own this jointer before I got started removing the blades which are in need of sharpening.

After replying to your posting I read further and got the information I was looking for. The posting is from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com. He had this exact problem but hoped it was gone away now. It may be gone in the new jointers but I bought a used one. I will call Delta if after removing the blades and inspecting the set screws closely I see the same problem.

vist this side.it will help you.
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com /
--
james187

The set screws were a problem years ago when I bought my jointer - I would hope they fixed that problem in the last 10 years... I needed to cut two of the set screws, one was so badly cross threaded that you could see it was out of true by at least 10 degrees. I called delta and they sent a replacement piece. Other than that problem on day one, the only other thing I have had to do was clean the on/off switch after it built up some carbon on the contacts.
Cheers,
Thanks. I bought a used one (the guy bought his in 1997 according the manual he gave me) so it sounds like I need to give the set screws a very careful look after I remove the blades. Thanks for the heads up.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:01:48 +0000, Dick Snyder wrote:

I bought a well-used 37-190 (base and jointer are the old blue-green color) last year and have had no problems at all with the blade set screws. They guy before me replaced the on-off switch, but it is flat, easy to adjust, and otherwise everything I need except for 2" wider. :)