Deck cleaning/stripping questions

I am a deck cleaning newbie. I've cleaned my pine deck as it was extremely dirty by scrubbing with Sherwin-Williams Revive deck cleaner. Most of the dirt was removed but there are still some areas that have a dirty look to them because I guess I didn't scrub hard enough (I did this by myself and the deck is pretty large, so it was tough to get everything without going over it twice and spending hours on end). I have since sealed with Thompson's Advantage.

And now that I look a the deck, it's really dirty in some sections and I should have cleaned it better. I want to strip off the Thompson's Sealer and clean it and seal it again.

What product is the best to use to strip it and since i just sealed it will it be hard to get off? Also, do I need to use a cleaner after I use the stripper? I still have some of the Revive cleaner.

I also have seen that Thompson's is really not rated that well as a sealer. Any recommendations? BTW, I really don't want to have to go the pressure washer route.

Thanks!

Reply to
davenorris

Are some spots rotten? If so, simply needs (partly) replacement.

Another thing I could think of is sand the desk with whatever sander.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

No rotten wood, just didn't get some of the dirt off...

Reply to
davenorris

The difficulty here is that what might be perfectly fine to me might be completely unacceptable to you. (and vice versa). I've used a couple of different cleaners on wood decks with good results (for me). The most effective seemed to be the ones with oxalic acid in them (power cleaners mixed with water). I believe that Olympic made the one that I used a few years back, but I'm not absolutely certain about that. I've always had good results with Olympic sealers. I know nothing about Thompson's Advantage, but if it's anything like their Waterseal(?), that's basically a wax and when I used it on I later regretted it.

Power washers make me nervous---I've seen someone destroy a sandstone wall cap using a power washer and the idea of using such a device on wood gives me the willies---especially if it's MY wood.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce T

Definitely avoid the pressure washer. They can rip softwoods to pieces, even if you are very careful.

-j

Don't be such a perfectionist. A little dirt never hurt anyone.

I have no idea how to remove the Thompsons, except to let it age. It lasts about 2 years on my dock. (It is cheap, goes on easy, and I doubt anything else would last a whole lot longer.) I suggest you live with it for a couple years and then clean it again.

Reply to
toller

Absolutely no question about it.

A power washer improperly used is an invitation to a disaster; however, properly used, it is a great tool.

If you are going to use one, DON'T GET A TOY.

You want at least 3,000 PSIG and 4 GPM which will translate into at least a 10 HP gasoline engine to drive it.

You also need a turbo nozzle.

Practice cleaning the side walks and drive way first.

After a couple of hours you will have developed a pretty good technique, and the results on a wood deck will amaze you.

SFWIW, I've cleaned teak on a boat which requires paying attention since if you are not careful, you will blow out the soft fibers and leave something that can only be defined as "Ugly on an Ape", not to mention, expensive to repair.

A typical wood deck around a home is not nearly so critical, unless it is made of teak .

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And don't forget your safety gear, a friend of mine almost died from Guillain-Barré Syndrome caused by the inhaled micro-particles of green slime....Power washers create a fog of more than just water!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

From the Guillain-Barré/CIDP Syndrome Foundation International's web site (

)

" The cause of GBS is not known and there is no effective treatment."

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I recently tried Olympic Deck Cleaner. Its pre-mixed... bought a 2.5 gallon jug, put it in the pump spray deal, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes, wash it off. You can use a light syntheic brush while your're waiting, but I was surprised at how well it worked. I cleaned my teak deck furniture, and sealed it with Cabot's Australian Teak Oil which I will also use on the PT deck once I get the deck cleaned (this weekend I hope). One thing you don't do is use any of these acid-based cleaners with a power spray. I have a 2300 psi gas unit and it will drill holes through PT 2 X 4's in a minute if they have that stuff on them. It softens the "bung" or core of the wood and it can flush out like nobody's business. The rings or grain stand up better, but I've loanded my pressure washer to friends (with this warning) and seen them create moon crater on their decks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to