debugging wood

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure that the bugs don't follow me indoors?
sbnjhfty wrote:

First thing you need to do is get it off the ground and out of the rain. If it's sitting on wet ground, it is absorbing moisture and most likely starting to rot. After you get some real drying going on, then you can start worrying about the critters.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Assuming it holds together, that is. Also, you might want to slab it now, it will speed the drying process. Just make sure you sticker it when you stack it to dry. One other thing, since you think it has active bugs, don't stack it in your shop or with any wood you value.
Deb
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yes I am drying it. But how to get rid of the bugs?
"sbnjhfty" wrote:

Same way you get rid of termites in a building.
"Tent" the stack and then set off a ternite bug bomb.
Wait 2 days.
Lew

Heat will kill 'em and the eggs. Most kiln drying schedules finish off with a few hours at/above 180 F (82 C), which is achievable with a homebrew steam box.
The insects will crawl out before it reaches that temperature, but you need to kill the eggs, too (powder-post beetle is a particular concern).

Freeze it for 2 months at 0F.

Hello,
First, do not bring the wood into your shop or home. I am not sure if you can treat green/wet wood but check out:
http://www.bugspray.com /
and go through the articles. I've used the company's Boracare to treat for powder post beetles and it appeared to work really well. Of course, I may have been treating empty holes and the furniture may have been bug free.
Good Luck.