DE-Rusting tools a bad way.... courtesy of Nick Engle.

Rip off a piece of paper towel, open the door, and toss the paper in the waste basket as you exit.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:50:41 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

I don't rip off a piece of the towel. And if the company was not bright enough to put a trash basket by the exit door I throw the towel on the floor. If enough people would do this even the dimmest janitor will quickly catch on and put a basket by the exit door - just as it should be everywhere.
says...

But what do you do when the response to this is to remove the towel dispenser and replace it with one of the hot-air thingies?

Pinkie finger on your off hand ...

Become a Muslim. They only eat with their right hand and only wipe their arses with their left - at least - I think it's that way round.
So, by extrapolation, you only open the exit door with your left hand. :-)
On Oct 30, 8:05am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

So you make it annoying for everyone else using the bathroom so you can make a point to management? Yeah, just piss on the floor - it's the same thing.
On 10/30/10 10:09 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Or gee, I don't know, maybe t a l k to the management about it. No, that would be completely unreasonable.
--

-MIKE-

write a letter.
On 10/30/10 12:30 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What's a letter? Is that an analog email?
--

-MIKE-

Brilliant NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since when is the person performing the janitorial services set policy on rest rooms?
Lew
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:50:41 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

That is just another symptom of the bacterial paranoia that seems to be prevalent today. It's gotten so bad that doctors are worrying that children aren't getting exposed to enough germs to build up their immune systems.
I check all the soap we buy to ensure that it *isn't* anti-bacterial. I don't want to be part of breeding better germs :-).

America, the land of the chicken. Says something about how well we live though--in most of the rest of the world "bacteria in knife block" is so far down on the list of ways to come to grief that even mentioning it would get one laughed out of the venue.
Think this guy <
http://metaljockey.smugmug.com/photos/198550796-L.jpg
is worried about germs in his knife block (full story at <http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t &9251&page=3>)? How about this kid (walking three days to the clinic with a bone sticking out of his arm) <
http://metaljockey.smugmug.com/photos/198507184-L.jpg
(same story, this installment <http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t &9251&page=5>).

Paper towel on the handle. Except they've demonstrated that the slot in the towel dispenser is just Loaded with bacteria ...

Please explain how a wood in a cutting board has anti bacterial properties, but when it's made into knife storage, it becomes a death trap.
Your body has its own defenses. Use them - exercise them. This anti bacterial _everything_ crap is doing way more harm than good.
R:
I'm with you on germophobia a la Howard Hughes. But kids can't be guaranteed to always put away knives cleaned and dried nor can all adults. From that perspective alone, I like the OP's consideration of alternatives.
A quick search of the web--which measures the extent of my interest--said wooden cutting blocks absorb water from bacteria in the process of killing them. An assumption would be that this process more readily occurs on a cutting board surface freely exposed to both light and air than it would in a blind slot on a standard knife block. It is also much easier for any observer to discern whether a cutting board is wet, dirty or greasy and remedy that than it would be with a dark trap like a blind wooden slot which, if also greasy, will be less effective at dessicating bacteria.
This culinary link contains a discussion that tangentially touches on the topic, making some reference to alternative products offered by Lee Valley, including a magnetic one that may interest the originator of the question: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/131749-cleaning-wood-knife-blocks /
At http://www.agrussell.com/ag-russell-knife-block-and-cutting-board/p/KAL-KBW / an interesting hollow plastic block is offered which apparently can be cleaned in a dishwasher.
And, not to neglect the legacy of Howard, a UV-irradiated, metal knife block is out there, perhaps one step too far.
Regards,
EH

My perspective is that if they want to use the good knives, they must have good habits. If not, there's a whole drawer full of sketchy knives they can play with. This goes for adults as well as kids.

Sketchy? Do you go to my kid's highschool? <G> Sketchy is NOT a word that means what you think it means, Rico.

Arguing semantics with me is like arguing with the dictionary.
sketch·y   /ˈskɛtʃi/ –adjective,sketch·i·er, sketch·i·est. 1. like a sketch; giving only outlines or essentials. 2. imperfect, incomplete, slight, or superficial: a sketchy meal.
or a thesaurus
thesaurus results Main Entry:     sketchy Part of Speech:     adjective Definition:     rough, incomplete Synonyms:     coarse, crude, cursory, defective, depthless, faulty, imperfect, inadequate, insufficient, introductory, outline, perfunctory, preliminary, scrappy, shallow, skimpy, slight, superficial, uncritical, unfinished, vague
At least six of those synonyms apply to the word as I used it. Maybe there is hope for the younger generation. ;)
As Mr. Monk would say about my hangup with words, "It's a blessing...and a curse."

Oh, its usage may be correct (legal) but it's still lame. And that is where the legalistic 'word' communities falls flat on their faces. Many need to learn the difference between what is accurate and legal, and what is appropriate. The hip and cool use words like sketchy which is why I wondered why you selected it.

I am neither hip nor cool. Sketch and sketchy are words that have been around for a long, long time. The fact that you have some preconceived notion of what the word means, and when it came into common usage, is at odds with the accepted definitions, its history and derivation. I am not using a word based on your offspring's high school usage in some northern colloquially-challenged clime, but using it as God, the Dutch, Italians, Latin and Greek languages originally intended it. The English word sketch came into use in the 17th century, and it basically means a rough work or roughly made.
[C17: from Dutch schets, via Italian from Latin schedius hastily made, from Greek skhedios unprepared]
The current issue rug rat uses the word sketchy in a different way - to connote risk or unseemly behavior. I think these are also valid definitions and do not diminish the word.
In any event, I have a drawer of sketchy knives that visitors, children and other un-schooled interlopers are welcome to use and abuse. Touch my good knives (or chisels) and I'll hurt you.

Now we have that out of the way....

Or am I being redic?