Daughter's wedding present.

This is a bit of a blend between Arts & Crafts and Mission...the table came out more looking like Metro. I stole the design components from all over the place. So here is my question: Do the table and chairs look compatible?

I was thinking cherry, any other suggestions?

(I also made sure that it was reasonably easy to fabricate)

Robatoy

The curve in the chair back rail seems incongruent with the sharp angles on the table. Not necessarily bad nor bad-looking, just not equivalent (I'm not sure how exactly to express this correctly)

Mark & Juanita

a) Cherry would look quite nice for this style. b) Downloaded and brightened up the picture, I missed the curves on the seat rails in my previous comment. As I mentioned in my previous post, it's not necessarily bad, it just doesn't match with the straight lines on the A&C style table. BTW, that is a very minor nit -- you did a really nice design and rendering job on the overall design.

Mark & Juanita

I am sure that your daughter will be thrilled.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think so too.

Why thank you, kind sir. I made a couple of adjustments and uploaded them for your perusal.

Robatoy

Thanks, Lee. I have till September, so lots of time (ya right)

Reply to
Robatoy

chairs look more refined. You've got a conundrum there, good luck to ya.

I like the fact you can make those changes that quickly, what drawing and rendering packages are you using?

Mark & Juanita

I can make the joints at the corners a bit bigger when using the curved sides. With the straight sides, I'm almost thinking of stretchers. I'll think of something.

It is a very intuitive design package called Strata 3D CX5. Runs on mac, like mine, or on a wintel box. I have been doing most models in CAD and then importing them into Strata for textures, lighting and rendering. But something as simple as these chairs, I do the modelling right inside Strata, a package which I have been using for 13 years (with various upgrades along the way) I recently opened a model which took almost 18 hours to render back in

1994. Took 22 minutes this time around and at a higher colour depth and tighter anti-aliasing. Computers have come a long way....and the one on order will cut that 22 minutes down to 5. r
Reply to
Robatoy

... snip

Thanks, I've taken note of that for future reference. I'm currently using Turbo-CAD. Good 3D package, with pretty good rendering, but it does take quite a bit of time to draft out the components.

Mark & Juanita

Odd... I thought you had a Cray.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Very Prarie" ... to coin a new term. ;)

Absolutely.

That would be startling.

Not a criticism, but do you have enough overhang on the ends of the trestle, and do you really want the side chairs to have arms, or was that just a convenience in rendering the model?

Perhaps a bit too easy? ... hard to tell, but the back legs of the chairs appear to angle toward the front legs at the same chair back angle? If so, and with that tall back, you may find them to be a bit too easy to tip backwards.

I really do like your design ... they'd look gorgeous with a leather 'slip' seat. Well done!

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, I do.

Absoluetly.

Nice rendering!

FWIW, these are the changes that my eye wants:

  1. Six rungs under the table, the five seems a little sparce next to the chair. Either group them closer, add a rung or both.

  1. Reproduce the arch design element in the table in the lower rail of the table end.

  2. I don't care for the base beneath the table end. I would just loose that component.

  1. I would have to put a taper on the last 4 inches of all the legs (table and at least the forepaws of the chairs). Only because I find mission too damn square .... an arc and a few tapers and I feel much better.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I do, but I only use it as intended; for my finances.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think so!

Cherry would look great - you weren't going to stain it, were you? Also, I like a lot of Steve's ideas, and had some of the same thoughts:

I wouldn't disagree with this, though it didn't jump out at me. Maybe (if you have a mortiser or some easy method) you could do a row of the same 3/4" or 1" spindles that are on the back of the chair? Something like this

but maybe without the spindles down the middle. (Who knew that inmates made custom mission style furniture?)

I was thinking about this idea before I read this response - I think that would tie them together nicely. But I really think they match each other very nicely, even with a curve in the chair and straight rails on the table.

That was my first thought when I looked at your picture - is there another piece you were emulating with that element? It seems like it would facilitate toe-stubbing.

Sure - that's a good classic mission style design element, and it's fairly easy to do. Gives you a good selection of doorstops. Just don't make the angle too sharp! I like the slightly lighter look it imparts to the generally solid furniture design. Good luck and have fun, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Vince Gill played in a band with a name something like that, now the song 'Amy' is stuck in my head for ther rest of the day.

Good point. I'd have to make sure there's enough room for feet at the end seating arrangement.

I plan on only one chair with arms. I modelled it first and got lazy and copied it for the other positions.

Maybe a perspective thing. Pure side views show them parallel. I plan to introduce a very slight curve to front of the back/legs, but just to the front of the back/legs as I want to keep the straight look as much as possible.

Thank you, and yes, leather is the choice there (told you I was ripping off ideas, this time FLW/Taliesin/Brophius) Dropping the model onto a Liberty rug gave me a better understanding of what I'm after. (Now I'll have to hunt one of those rugs down and add it to the package....good thing she's worth it. Maybe something Navaho-ish.)

As always, thanks for the positive input.

Robatoy

Thank you.

That's one of the beauties of modelling. I tried many configurations and with the base beneath the table end, the heftier look works better for me. This thing will be large, I can't get too 'spindly' with this.

That I will give a try.

I really like the look of it. Saw one somewhat like it, and taking it in and out of the model, I now feel it needs to be there. This will be a workhorse. My kid will do her crafts and stuff on it, I doubt it will ever be used as a formal dining room.... it really isn't formal at all.

Only a little bit of taper. I'll try that too.

I appreciate the input.

Robatoy

but maybe without the spindles down the

That is a nice table, I really like the design, I am trying for something 'heftier'-looking.

[snip]

...about the table bases:

I am still trying to figure out why I like it as much as I do. Funny thing about stubbing toes.. it has an automated teaching device built in. It really isn't that intrusive, I don't think. I know I have seen it before, I just can't recall where.... but I liked it.

I will play with tapers, but it might take me away from what I'm trying to do. We'll see.

...keep them cards and letters coming, because I am on a thieving mission, and will steal any and all ideas.

Robatoy

Pure Prarie League ...

My mistake ... the other photo links hadn't come across when I posted that and I saw later that was the case. Besides, I figured/knew you were smarter than that. ;)

You bet ... you're doing it right with all the 3D modeling. I'm stuck in 2D, but even with a good deal of practice visualizing house plans and shop drawings down through the years, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't from a flat space.

I really need to spend the time to pick up on 3D.

Reply to
Swingman

Sun, Jan 14, 2007, 6:13pm (EST-3): snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth query: Do the table and chairs look compatible? I was thinking cherry, any other suggestions?

My first thought for a wedding present would have been something along the lines of a cedar chest - but I like chests and that's just me.

Well, I'd have said something more along the lines of a trestle table, but I'd say they're pretty well compatible. Sure look a lot better than a lot of the stuff out there with huge prices asked. So yes, I think they look good. EXCEPT for that chair on the table. I expect it's the lighting or something, but it looks like it'd been buried for quite awhile, then dug up.

I think cherry would be good, I like cherry. On the other hand, I think those chairs and the table should look good with about any wood, except knotty pine - depending on how it's finished, of course - I don't think I'd cae for maple much, if it was left light for example; but nothing real dark either. Actually, I'd say the table top is just about right.

JOAT I do not have the huge amount of faith needed to be an Atheist.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jan 14, 2007, 6:13pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth query: any other suggestions?

On the way to town I thought about the response I gave before, and the one I "should" have given. So I retract my previous response.

What you think doesn't mean Jack. What I think doesn't mean Jack. Or, anyone else. Anyone except the bride, that is. Find out what "she" thinks, go from there.