damaged finish on expensive wood table

Hello afficiandos,
Pardon my ignorance as a newbie. I ended up putting a leaking battery onto my ralph lauren coffee table and sunsequently spotting the finish at various places. The good news might be that since the finish is distressed it may not be that big of a deal after I restore the finish.
Making a long story short, I tried to first clean up the affected area with mild soap solutin which turned the patches whitish and when I look from the side I do find slight indentation in the heavily infested areas meaning that the leaking electrolyte has cut through the finish . Now the question is two fold;
1) How do I restore the finish i.e.patch up so that the indentation is gone.
2) Second option is to leave the indentation (part of distressed look) and (polish/lacquer or something else???)so that the white patches are gone and match the table finish.
Any recommendations on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
-vivek
Try www.refinishwizard.com
On 15 May 2005 17:20:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On 15 May 2005 17:20:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You paid that much for a new table ? Phone a local restorer - he can see it better than we can.