Dad is selling old tool chest with tools

Page 1 of 2

My Dad wants to sell an old wood toolchest that has many, many tools with it. This I believe is a patterns makers chest. Tools are old but high quality tools take a look. http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/toolbox/toolbox.htm
Dad was hoping to do better than $300 for the chest with tools

Oh my. Please don't sell those. Keep them for yourself. Someday, when your children (or grandchildren) are old enough to appreciate them, you'll be able to pass on some priceless memories of a skilled craft and the man who practiced it.
Roy Smith wrote:

That assumes it was passed down in OP's family.
Maybe it was, or maybe his Dad bought it at an estate sale or something.
--

FF

Roy Smith wrote:

yeah.
-Phil Crow

On Sun, 7 May 2006 21:57:08 -0400, "wayne mak"

Possibly worth *much* more, I think. Have them evaluated. Try a local auctioneer/antuque dealer, but let him or her know they are presently NOT for sale, if he offers to buy them. You want an unbiased opinion. You might have to remove your ad for that purpose, then go back to that as one avenue.
I'd have been interested some years back, but am getting away from the hobby due to health and age. My son-in-law will get most of mine.
I don't think you will have a bit of problem with that price.

That collection is worth a LOT more than that. I would have been happy to pay you $ 500.00 or more... till I read Roy Smith's post...he's right. Keep them. Do NOT sell that collection. It is too valuable to sell. *drooling*
wayne mak wrote:

Wayne, you're the guy that listed the patternmaker's shop stuff on W. Mass. craigslist, right?
The stuff you have is far more valuable than $300. I don't know how quickly you have to sell this stuff, but if you sold the stuff separately on eBay you'd make over a grand for that stuff, no problem. The more valuable chisels would easily fetch $40. You also have some nifty little violin makers planes that are highly collectable.
I echo the sentiment of some of the other posters. Keep the box. Cherry pick your father's collection and keep a nicely stocked box. You might find out that you've got the genes for it and take up woodworking. It'd also make an amazing family heirloom which isn't going to go down in value.
Sell the stuff you've got to sell after researching it. There are eBay consignment shops and Sellers Assistants that would take 30-40% commission. You'd still come out ahead.
All hand woodworking with antique tools is a special interest. I'll bet only a small percentage of the readers of this newsgroup would have any interest in them for day to day use. Even if I owned a nice collection like that, I wouldn't give up my power tools.
RicodJour wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

Well, maybe that box o' tools isn't going to replace your power tools, but there's no reason that they couldn't peacefully co-exist. Right tool for the right job, eh?

Oh - so now we're talking cutting torches, huh? Cool.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I thought you were talking about your Flowjet. ;)
wrote in message

Now there's a tool! Alas... no Flowjet for this poor boy. I just couldn't help myself above... I see a phrase like "the right tool for the job" and I instinctively think torches... Oh... what you can do with a nice piece of cherry and a good set of torches. It's simply art.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Yu seem to look at it as an either/or situation. Rarely do I ever do a project entirely by hand but I, and a lot of others, have found that a lot of things are done faster and easier by hand rather than setting up a machine.

I'd give my left one for my grandfather's tools. Please don't sell them, each has a story to tell and a connection with the craftsman.
Mekon

Since he doesn't know what kind of tools they are, the odds are they don't have any storys.
I expect they probably are worth rather more than 300, judging by what I have seen stuff go for at auctions, but I can't really understand why.
Toller wrote:

Because of the definition of the word heirloom: 1. A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations. 2. An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.

They might not have the "I used this Barton gouge to pound through the heart of a vampire" type of story, but more the "great-granddad was such a craftsman that the factories relied on him to get the original prototype perfect".

Because the stuff you would buy now would cost you more for what is usually lower quality.
wrote in message

wanted to sell them for $300, but decided to hand them down to other people to whom they have no significance."
My MIL has a spoon her great grandfather used at Andersonville Prison. Now that's a great heirloom. (unfortunately she is leaving it to my BIL rather than my wife.)

It's probably worth more than that, as others have said, altho it's hard to tell from photos.
If you're in Mass, as someone suggested, you might try calling or emailing Patrick Leach, who does (or did) some dealing in tools. He used to be active here on rec.ww, some while back.
leach (at) supertool.com
John