Cyclone-style Dust Collectors.

Page 3 of 5

Strewth! That's hot!
--
Stuart Winsor

Not when it's 100+ f outside..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yep.. local makes a huge difference.. Right now, a long sleeve shirt is all I need to work outside, but during the summer it's just too hot/humid to work outside.. Forecast this morning was for a warming trend, maybe up to 70... After 2 years here, we've acclimated a bit though and 70 with a strong breeze is kind of cold..
From what I've heard, your spring is spectacular, though..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Nice!
Fall, too!
Not to appear too dumb...but what is a drywall bag and where do I get one ?
B A R R Y wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

They're disposable filter bags designed for picking up drywall dust. I've only seen them available for the "Shop-Vac" and the Porter Cable vacs.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

The Festool and Fein vacs have them too.
Pat Barber wrote:

A drywall bag is simply a disposable filter bag, fine enough to contain drywall dust. I buy them in the Shop Vac (generic term...) section, wherever Shop Vac accessories, like filters and hoses, are sold.
I find that the bag provides a steadier suction for longer than a HEPA filter by itself. My HEPA filters seem to clog quite readily with sanding junk. The bags also make the job of emptying the vacuum much cleaner, but they aren't all that cheap. Since the main use of my vacuum is with handheld sanders, I don't worry too much about the extra cost. The bags last me a long time.
B A R R Y wrote:

Have you tried a "CleanStream" filter. They too are initially expensive but I've been running the same one in my Sears shop vac for about 6 years.
http://www.cleanstream.com/filters_wetdry.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

That was really weird. Thinking I had a Craftsman vac of some sort, I was somewhat distressed to find that it said Hoover on the outside. Weird. Oh well. Vaguely remembering that I might have bought a Craftsman filter for it at one time, I looked inside to see if it was compatible with what CleanStream was selling. Lo! It was a CleanStream filter. WTF? :D
Nova wrote:

I have.
It still clogs.
The beauty of the drywall bag is that the dust cake seems to fall off in between uses. I like the Cleanstream as a main filter, but the bag is a great pre-filter.
I noticed that Sears offers a "foam" sleeve that fits over the regular filter.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00997443000P?mv=rr
Have you tried that ?
They also sell the paper bags for the various models...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917896000P?mv=rr
I assume this is the "drywall bag" everybody is referring to ?
B A R R Y wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

I haven't tried the foam filter but I have cut off one of the legs of a pair of my wife's old panty hose and stretched it over the filter. It helps and it didn't cost anything.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Pat Barber wrote:

I think that's for wet vac'ing.
--

-MIKE-

Pat Barber wrote:

Got that, too! <G>
Shavings stick to it.
For sander dust collection, nuttin' works as well as the bags.

If you're going through a lot of bags, a mini cyclone would save you money in the long run.
-Kevin

I still haven't found out how to send a live link, but-http:// www.studio1304.com/silca/cyclone/index.htm HTH

1. Does not matter what version of dust collection you implement. The only way to lengthen the time between dumpings is to either stop collecting or get a bigger container.
2. Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1 has a really good write-up on the theory of a cyclone collector. Their catalogue has a lot of accessories to really make it sing.
3. As theory goes, the cyclone approach really works. In practice, it is only as good as the collection system you hook up to it.
P D Q
PDQ wrote:

The difference is that with a cyclone you just empty a container, you don't have to beat dust off of the clogged filters, which if I understand correctly was the issue.
With a properly designed cyclone very, very little gets to the filters.

I see very little in the way of fines settling out regardless of whether the machine I'm using is connected to the cyclone.
--John