Cutting board groove

what's the best way to make a groove for catching juices on a cutting board?

Plunge Router and guide or on table? What if it's an irregular shape?

Reply to
The Wolf

Router and guide. Check the thread on Router Workshop.

If you plan ahead, you can use the templates you used to cut the irregular shape to make the one for the blood groove, which, by the way is not necessary for 99% of us. We buy meat in the market, and they've got a little blood-absorbing minipad on the bottom of the container.

Reply to
George

Read the other thread, posted yesterday.

Router from above.

If it has square corners, then you can use a straight fence and a stop clamped to the board, so that you don't run off the edge.

If it has rounded corners, then you can make up a curved fence - screw a strip of wood to the router's fence with a pair of semi-circular slices of broomhandle glued to it. This will guide on either a straight or a curved edge - adjust the diameter and spacing of the rounded blocks to get the effect you want.

If you're making a lot, consider a template of MDF and a guide bush in the router.

Practice on scrap first !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do you cook your meat so that is it dried out and no juices flow when you carve it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do you have a picture? IF so could you please email to snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net?

Take out RemoveThis, thanks.

Reply to
The Wolf

Searched "groove" and "cutting board" couldn't find it, what was it called?

Reply to
The Wolf

Don't you guys ever use the cutting board to carve the meat after it comes from the oven? The juice groove will keep you from getting meat juice on the table cloth.

bob g.

George wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Can't afford it in big chunks like that. Anything bigger than a single serving, cut on the plate, has to be a cheap cut for the crockpot.

Reply to
George

The Router Workshop guys are masters of the template and router guide. If you cut your groove template from 1/4" ply, you can use it to make the template for the irregularly shaped board.

For instance, free cut to make the shape of your board. Smooth and use it with a 3/4 guide, 1/4" cutter to make a template for the board (1" larger overall) which you will use with a pattern-routing bit to trim what you rough on your bandsaw. Center up the first template with doublestick, take a 3/8 guide and make the blood groove with your core box bit.

Reply to
George

I thought a "blood groove" was the recess on the side of a bayonet or K-Bar knife to increase the ease with which the poor SOB you speared bled out.

Dunno the term for the groove on a cutting board used to catch the juice, presumably for making gravy. I have also seem them with a well for collecting the juice too.

Mebbe you like your meat cooked the way my Mother-in-Law cooks her meat, well-done and dry as a bone, but I like mine juicy.

Reply to
SuperSpaz

Known as a well and tree. See examples:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net