Craftsman Jointer 113.206930

Inherited this 25 year old 6" inch jointer from my dad. It needs a few things, blades, belt and I'd probably replace the bearings as well as a de-rusting and paint jod. Is this machine worth restoring? I looked up on Sears web site for the parts and I'm looking at spending around $100.00. I would like to also put a link belt and machined pulleys on it from In-line industries. I was thinking of bumping up the motor pulley from 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" to give me an extra 400 RPM's. Another $50.00, so for $150 is this a good idea or no? I do know this machine served him well over the years.
Todd L
Another thought, is it OK to bump up the RPM's from the original 4310 to 4745? Will it benefit the performance?
Thanks, Todd L

Nix that, In-line just called me and talked me out of it. I will be replacing the pulleys with the original sizes. Hey, I'm having a conversation with myself here..........LOL
Todd L

on
In-line
this
Todd L wrote:

In-line is right. Don't futz with making it go faster (see what a small block Chevvy will do for this this puppy. AAAAAAAaaaaarrrrrr). You want to keep the blades in the slots at all cost. And don't buy a set of blades from Sears. QC is bad. See my posts under "a jointer saga".     grumble,     jo4hn
John, thanks for the heads up. I already ordered the blades from Sears. But after reading all 3 parts of your saga, I will be sure to mic them before installing. Where is a good resource for better quality replacement blades?
Thanks, Todd L

Todd L wrote:

I recall noting some Freud knives at the time. I guess I went with Sears since Freud didn't specifically say "for Craftsman...". I went looking again and found them at Amazon for $21. Try (Amazon.com product link shortened)GPY4FLPNIDH9%26camp 25%26link_code=xm2
URL may be a bit long but DAGS on Freud jointer knives should pop them up. Give Freud an email or call to confirm. Good luck.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I would say yes to the restoration for a number of reasons. First of all its old enough of a Craftsman to be a decent machine and these little jointers are secret dynamos in the shop. Those that have them and keep them tuned well know they are a fantastic little jointer and easy to work on. I still have one that I use to this day, its a 1967 model year and I have never replaced anything but the blades on it. But the biggest reason I would do it if I were you is where it came from. Think of the times your Dad used it, what he used it on and all the things he built with it. Can you put a price tag on that? I couldn't!
Jim

Thanks Jim, I would have to say that is the number one reason I want to restore it, and well, I don't have a son to hand it down to someday, but maybe a grandson... not for about 30 years though :)
Todd L

on
In-line
this