craftsman drill press

Does antone have an owners manual for a craftsman 17" drill press or can tell me how to remove the chuck?
It most likely is a taper fit. Take a piece of wood and a hammer, and whack it (put some rags under it to catch the chuck). Hardwood works best Good Luck and be careful (don't whack fingers) Frank
snipped-for-privacy@jasperremc.coop wrote:

Frank S. wrote:

My "El Cheapo" drill press is a taper fit and there is a slot in the quill and a strange little piece of metal that came with the drill that you put in the slot and tap with a hammer. A pretty light tap will dislodge the chuck because of the leverage.
| Frank S. wrote: | > It most likely is a taper fit. Take a piece of wood and a hammer, and | > whack it (put some rags under it to catch the chuck). Hardwood works best | > Good Luck and be careful (don't whack fingers) | > Frank | > | | My "El Cheapo" drill press is a taper fit and there is a slot in the | quill and a strange little piece of metal that came with the drill that | you put in the slot and tap with a hammer. A pretty light tap will | dislodge the chuck because of the leverage.
This is the way the press was designed for removing the quill. If you are lucky the quill was put in with the slots in their proper positions so the removal key would fit right in. The helpful clot that inserted mine for me neglected to do this. As a result, I will have to use a big screw driver to lever it out. When I do, I shall make certain the slots line up properly.
-- PDQ
Be carefule here. Most drill presses are a friction fit. Craftsman is notorious for doing things in a propriatary way though. Look at the chuck and see if it has a brand on it such as jacobsen. It may be labled MT or some such thing. MT meanse Mores Taper. MT info can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper <<pretty good info in morse taper.
Do you still need help? If so, I have info / photos that can help you. e-mail me direct.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.