Craftex Bandsaw

Hi folks,
I'm thinking of buying a bandsaw in the near future and would like your opinions.
BusyBee Tools (a Canadian tool store) has a Craftex 15 1/2" 2 HP bandsaw (model CT082)on special for $650 (= US$515) till tomorrow. I've not heard of Craftex before, as it seems to be their house brand. From the ad copy, it's "a full size single speed (3000 fpm) band saw with a heavy pressed steel frame and an oversize (19 3/4" x 15 1/2", 45 degree right hand tilt) cast iron table." It has a 2 HP, 220V with magnetic starter, takes a 116" blade, comes with a fence (21 1/2" x 2 1/2" with optical cursor), mitre gauge, rack & pinon upper blade support & ball bearing guides. Its capacity is 14 3/4" by 8".
Does anyone know anymore about Craftex bandsaws? For the same money I could get a Jet JWBS-14CS, 14" Closed Stand Bndsw, 1HP, 1Ph, 115/230V at Summit Tools (which "American Woodworker" Oct. 2004 ranked right beside the Delta 206, which sells for $790)
I like the idea of Craftex as it's 220V (though the Jet could be rewired to 220V) and 2 HP though it only has an 8" resaw capacity. The Jet can take a riser block for a 12" resaw capacity. But I don't want to buy inferior tools, however neither do I know if I'll ever need 12" resaw capacity. It also strikes me that 1 HP isn't sufficient for 12" resawing.
What say you? Thanks!
__ Cheers, Rob
Check out this forum for more "canadian focused" discussions: http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum /
No offense to the guys in here, but the percentage of Canadian posters (and therefore, people who might have heard of Craftex) is probably higher in that group.
Clint

Clint wrote:

Thanks for that pointer, Clint. I've bookmarked it.
--
Cheers,
Rob

Craftex have a good reputation and I know some professional that use these products.They are very satisfed for the quality and the low prices.
I think your bandsaw is a good choice.
S.B.

SBO wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts. They've just celebrated 29 years of being in business so they must sell some decent stuff. However, they won't have stock for a month and a half so I've decided against that model.
--
Cheers,
Rob

They are mediocre, Chiwanese products.

I'd get the Jet in a second. Note: I have a Craftex 15" that was given to me as a gift.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

That's pretty much what I expected to hear. Once I realised that the saw lacked any sort of tension gauge and, according to the salesman, I was supposed to judge blade tension by ear from plucking the blade, I gave up on it. That sort of ability comes from experience, which I lack.
--
Cheers,
Rob

Tension springs lose their tension with age (Familiar sound?) and many rely on sound from the getgo.
On Sat, 21 May 2005 14:12:34 GMT, Rob Fargher

Hi Rob, I have had a 14" Craftex BS for several years and I would hesitate before buying it again. It is a pretty rough piece of work. The quality of their product line varies so maybe that model is better. I have a DP by them which gets the job done and an OSS which I really like. JG
Rob Fargher wrote:

JGS wrote:

I went back to look at it again yesterday and found out that they wouldn't have stock till June 30th anyway. So that made the decision easy. :-)
The Jet that I was considering is pretty much bare-bones: no quick release tension, no fence, no mitre gauge, no riser block. I'm now raising my sights a bit higher and am looking at a General 90-125 14" BS. It's more money but, I think, a better saw. There's also a King Industrial 14" on promo (free riser block for 12" resaw capacity) that has a better fence than the General. It's also signficantly less expensive than the General. Decisions, decisions. :-)
--
Cheers,
Rob

Rob Fargher Wrote:

Rob I am looking at the saem saw and have mixed feelings no hurr though I just receieved a new flyer and this model with the same pric is extended to the end of March. Sure wish there was feedback one wa or the other.
good luck shopping
yog
-- yogibear