Counter top questions

Hi ya'll,
I had a couple of questions regarding counter tops: 1.) When gluing laminate, should I do the edge first then the top or viceversa? 2.) We are putting in a tile backsplash. Should we instal the tile first then install and butt up the countertop against the tile or should we install the countertop, and then install the backsplash? Im a bit confused as you can see.
Thanks a bunch in advance,
Ivan
On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:24:47 GMT, "Ivan"

"Normally" the edge is put on first; then the deck material. I would tile on top of the counter top. This way the fit to a non-straight wall only has to be within 1/4" as the tile will cover the gap(s). Set the tile on the top and caulk the seam; not grout. This also lets you remove the top, for replacement, without having tile problems.
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com

Thanks Alan :-)

alt.building.construction or alt.home.repair(?) would be a better ng.
That said, for self-edge laminate, glue and flushtrim the edges first, then the top. Do your countertop before the tile if you have a choice. Fitting laminate against an irregular surface is less than fun. Tape off the lam to prevent scratches.
">

I lurk 80% of the time.
When dealing with tops and fronts and backs, think about which way the water is going to go. Put the front edge on first followed by the top, on top of that. With the back splash, put the counter top on first and set the splash on top of that. Basically, do not leave a joint exposed that water can run down into.