Cotton wood

Page 2 of 2

+ + + The burls of Populus nigra were very important in furniture production, once upon a time. PvR
I tried to make a deal with Smokey Mountain Woodcarver Supply Near Pigeon Forge, TN where I would swap cottonwood bark for credit for carving tools. I actually sent Mac some bark but it wasn't thick enough for carving. He needs bark that is at least 3" thick and it sells for about $8.50 a pound. I have never seen any that was that thick around here. Anyone got some thick cottonwood bark might be able to work a deal with these guys. http://www.woodcarvers.com
Regards, Charlie in Kentucky
Grandpa <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:26:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:

various layers.....usually just as you complete carving the nose (curses as you pick the nose or eyebrows off the floor....<g>)
Has nice grain and a deep color.Finishes nicely with Deft Satin Usually bark from the colder climates (western states and provinces) is really thick (5 "), so i'm told. Stuff i've worked with came from Alberta. Don't have much suitable in Ontario , anyone west of here that has any info on the 5 W's of bark , feel free to email me. Haven't had a lot of luck Googling bark collection I presume that there might be some kind of agriculture ban bringing it in from the states. Planning a bark collecting expediton this summer , to keep me busy this winter.
Turnbuckle1 at (slowashell) rogers dot com