Copper air line installation

Installing copper for shop air. I have a few regulators and filters and am wondering about the installation process.

My biggest concern torching in fittings near these "plastic" regulators/filters. I was thinking I could sweat the near fitting then attach it to the filter/regulator then sweat in the opposite side.

OR

maybe I could get brass fittings for a thread to thread connection???

Either way I'm not sure of how to get these threaded in on a hard line installation.

Any experienced replies in this would greatly help as my only exp in this is an occasional hose bib or water pipe fix.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Use compression fittings (the ones with the brass "rings") or use "couplers". Couplers allow the joining of two pipes or fittings without having to thread one into the other.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

It has been my experience that the "ring" style compression fittings will vibrate loose and leak if this is in a line that moves. On my hookah (gasoline powered airless Gates compressor) I ended up having to go to flares.

Reply to
Greg

It's easy, if you sweat the fitting on to at least 12" of pipe, thread the stubs into you plastic stuff. Wrap a wet rag on the stub near the plastic and sweat the assembly into your system with couplings. Another option would be to put a tee at the place you want the regulator, sweat in a slip to thread adapter, add the regulator after the system is plumbed. Don't forget to put water legs at the compressor inlet to the system and before your regulator.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

$ .02, Allow for unions or other removable connections at each in-line device. ( Solder/thread type unions are available. ) Use threaded filters, regulators etc. as these will require service or replacement in time. Solder in the fittings before attaching to 'plastic' devices and then screw them into place using a quality sealant. Bleedable catch drops are a good idea too, in-pipe condensation will occur as the air cools.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

I appreciate the replies! Started fabricating the copper today after running around getting supplies for most of the day. Hopefully tommorrow will be more productive!

Rich

Reply to
Rich