Contractor saw mods

Maybe I'm crazy, but I need to find a solution...
First, the potentially silly question: Has anyone tried modifying a contractor saw to change it to a configuration more like a hybrid saw. Specifically, I'm thinking of enlarging one side of the base to accommodate the motor which would be relocated within it. This could be accomplished by modifying current parts or getting a hold of stock parts from a hybrid and "making it work".
My problem is the shop space is facing a dramatic reduction in size (read: wife wants to park car in garage on a regular basis). My table saw has a 50" fence and can't be relocated within the garage. So, that extra foot or so hanging out the back of the basically six foot long unit is eating into precious space.
For reference, my saw is essentially a General 50-175 (manufactured for another brand). I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this modification or has any ideas how to go about it.
Other options considered but not feasible were:
1. Cutting down fence rails and aux table to fit in smaller space elsewhere in the garage - I don't want to lose this capability and the space savings would be minimal at best.
2. Selling current saw and buying newer hybrid/cabinet saw - The current saw is too new to justify it and the "accountant" wouldn't allow it anyway.
3. Enlarging garage - not enough space on lot; also see "accountant" reason above.
Thanks in advance, and please try not to spread the sarcasm to thick - I wouldn't be asking if you guys weren't such a creative bunch.....
smd wrote:

Of course.
How about a "quick on/quick off" motor mount that would allow you to remove the motor for storage?
I'll leave the final design to you. :-)
UA100

I'll second that "removable mount" A friend's grandad had an old delta tablesaw and a grinder mounted on a transportable base that shared a common motor. (It almost looked like a flatbed wheelbarrow.) The motor was mounted on a pivot arm, that flipped back and forth for each respective machine, and allowed it to be removed for ease of transortation.

with a couple of oversize hose clamps holding a big "D" handle on it at the balance point....
Option #4 - Sell the current car of the "accountant" and replace it with a smaller car which will fit in the available garage space.
Caution - the available space must be small enough that the replacement car size is totally unacceptable to the "accountant". Otherwise this could backfire big time.
Use the above so the "accountant" can justify option #2 for you.
Art

Assuming you have amobile base under it... Get you one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD006
and pin that saw to the ceiling!