completed project

Hi all, Just finished this over the weekend.
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/joshberger/pictures/magazinerack.jpg
I made this magazine rack out of a single 5' length of knotty redwood 2x4. Took about 6 hours. all comments welcome.
Josh

Looks good. Probably took more time to get the most of that 2 x 4 than to do the cutting. Ed
Looks great Josh. For yourself or someone else? If yourself I assume SWMBO was quite happy with it.
Looks like you planed or resawed the 2x4 down; what was the final thickness? Looks like you could have used a 1x6 instead of the 2x4 and avoided the edge join for the sides. Would a 1x6 have worked?
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Josh" < snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-joshberger.com> wrote in message
Thanks Larry. Yeah, it's for someone else who found my website and wondered if I'd make this as a gift for a friend.
I did resaw and planed down the 2x4 to a thickness of about 1/2 inch after I cut that profile on the sides. For the front panels I had to do a glue up, but no big deal really. I didn't have any 1x6, but If I had that certainly would've worked. I also thought that making it out of a 2x4 would be an interesting challenge on an otherwise very simple project.
Josh
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

Josh wrote:

That ain't no tuba fore... Looks like a magazine rack to me. What are you trying to pull?
(Looks good... At least until SWMBO fills it up with copies of Cosmo and Southern Living and stuff...)
Josh wrote:

Josh,
Looks good. Went to your site - how do you keep your workshop/bedroom chip and dust free?
Murray
mdr wrote:

It's not easy. I've got a shopvac, and a couple windows. During one summer I borrowed a box fan and did the furnace filter thing, but I had to give the fan back. Now I just wait till the dust settles and I vaccum. As of yet I'm too cheap to put money out for a dust collector. I've been eying the new Jet with the canister style filter and the plastic bag collector, but its a little out of my price range. And any of the cheaper dust collectors don't seem to have collection under 30 microns, so it doesn't really seem like a good value. Thanks for the kind words.
Josh
I didn't see the web site address but am interested in what it looks like.
Pops

Pops wrote:

No problem. It's just www.joshberger.com Thanks
Hum, thought I posted this to the group once before but didn't show up.
What is the web site, it's not listed here and I would like to see the mag rack.
pops