Common Courtesy

Page 4 of 5
"Tom Watson" writes:
<snip>

I sometimes get the feeling that some people make posts, not looking for information, but rather affirmation of some idea they have.
--
Lew

Good points Tom..
And as far as common courtesy and a Thank You goes, IMHO, TIA or Thanks in Advance is tacky.
I tend to agree. TIA is starting to look tacky to me too, although I still use it out of habit. Sometime you just lose track of posts and all of the replies, esp if you don't check in everyday. But maybe a quick TIA is better than nothing at all???                         Mark L.
Leon wrote:

naah, not at all.
sometimes I think usenet was created to break humans of expecting reciprocation for a good deed, even if it's only a nod.
Cheese goes with many different varieties of whine... Its sometimes a very good cheese like aged sharp cheddar, gouda or brie but can also be among those such as limburger that are much less sought after...
Thank You Tom.

calmly ranted:

Right, and a single "thanks to all" message will do. They don't even need to post long reples to each and every responder.

Right you are, Tawm.
--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.

Bingo... I'd prefer to not have to scan thru individual thank you's...
And, for the many times I'm sure I've forgotten, may I be the first to offer a collective "THANK YOU!" to all?
snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com says...

Bzzzt! Wrong! At least in the olden days. I remember many times seeing the warning "don't clutter up the bandwidth with thank you responses".
That's why you often saw "thinks in advance" or "TIA" from a questioner.
It may be the that the ever-increasing speed of Internet connections may have obsoleted this convention, but even so it might explain some of the "missing" courtesies.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

The problem with TIA is that you never know if the person asking ever reads the responses. ONE simple Thank You later in the day would seem more genuine and indicate that maybe the answers were actually read.
My shoes are filling up with the yellow stuff just reading a few of these entries.
    peace,     jo4hn
Tom and others in SE PA, I am getting more into woodworking and I am looking for sources for materials beyond the big box store stuff. I am between homes right now but am building a new house. One project will be to 'panel' a room to make sort of a library/study. Sort of the idea in Toms Cherry Library shown here http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page2.htm
So, where can I purchase the quality of materials needed for such a project? Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, etc. I haven't settled on the wood or the design yet. I am thinking veneer ply for large flats. Stiles, rails mouldings, mantle, built-ins and possibly a buit in work/desk area. I think mail order is out because I want to inspect the pieces I pick out.
Thanks all. Thanks Tom
-Bri
Tom and others in SE PA, I am getting more into woodworking and I am looking for sources for materials beyond the big box store stuff. I am between homes right now but am building a new house. One project will be to 'panel' a room to make sort of a library/study. Sort of the idea in Toms Cherry Library shown here http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page2.htm
So, where can I purchase the quality of materials needed for such a project? Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, etc. I haven't settled on the wood or the design yet. I am thinking veneer ply for large flats. Stiles, rails mouldings, mantle, built-ins and possibly a buit in work/desk area. I think mail order is out because I want to inspect the pieces I pick out.
Thanks all. Thanks Tom
-Bri
PS sorry if you see this a 2 posts, one showed as a reply to an old post of Toms, not my intent.
Try Sandy Pond Hardwoods in Buck, PA, Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, PA, or Herne Hardwoods in Oxford, PA. There's also a store in the Philadelphia area, Tague (think that's how it's spelled) Lumber. I've never been to Tague, but I've been to the others - Groff and Hearn both have a huge selection of most all types of wood. Sandy Pond does a lot of hardwood flooring and probably paneling.
These companies all have websites - DAGS -
Nick B

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page2.htm
project?
order
of
Thanks Nick - There is a Tague near where I'm building the house. They are a true value outlet. I have only seen standard building supplies there but I will ask when I'm there next. I will google the others. -B

will
in
design
For the rest of the group, and myself if I loose the links from the google search, here they are... Sandy Pond http://www.figuredhardwoods.com / Groff & Groff http://www.groffslumber.com / Herne Hardwoods http://www.hearnehardwoods.com / Tague http://www.taguelumber.com /

will
in
design
Tom Watson wrote:

This is coming late in the thread, I can understand your wanting to get away from this shit for a while.
You'll be glad, and sad, to know the issues you have raised are not limited to this group or any other form of electronic forum. There will be those who , no matter the communication, will always find fault.
What I don't get is why people think they have some legal or moral right to the knowledge we have spent years acquiring. If one has information there will always be those who think your obligated to cut loose with it. And if you don't divulge your information, no matter if your a nice guy or an asshole like me, your.... well, I don't know. The situation is somewhat insane.
One thing about these people who take issue is, how many times do they think the same person has answered the same question? It's new to them, it's something I learned in 1978. (And I'm just a puppy.) I'm so freaking sorry I didn't pass information in a manner that soothed your troubled mind. ... Not frigging hardly.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Mark, thanks for the definitive answer to the posts we get 2 or 3 times a year on soc.retirement, which always run: "I've started reading this newsgroup because I need every detail about MY retirement, and all you selfish old farts talk about is stuff YOU'RE interested in! What's wrong with you?" Etc. The boiler-plate answer is always "So ask a question, we'll answer it." IME, they never ask. Oh well, guess it's better than the early 90's, when little dollies would post to the entire net that hundreds of people should immediately stop talking about a given topic, because _they_ weren't interested...

:^)

Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 10:48am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.org (CapitalistPig) posted: Languages of the world http://123world.com/languages /
I can't accept that site aa any kind of authority on languages. I didn't even see English listed.
JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for. - Sir John Lubbock
Sat, Jul 24, 2004, 9:17pm From: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (GenevieveA.Briggs) who responded to a post with the subject of Common Courtesy, and who cross-posted it to: rec.woodworking, soc.senior.issues, talk.euthanasia, soc.history.ancient, soc.retirement
<snip>
There is no such thing as "common courtesy". It is uncommon to find courtesy, so there is no way it rightfully can be termed "common".
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe THE NEW COPPERPLATE http://www.banjer.com/midi/newcopp.mid
(Genevieve A.Briggs) who responded to a post with the subject of Common Courtesy, and who cross-posted it to: rec.woodworking, soc.senior.issues, talk.euthanasia, soc.history.ancient, soc.retirement
<snip>
There is no such thing as "common courtesy". It is uncommon to find courtesy, so there is no way it rightfully can be termed "common".
JOAT, et al; I have to apologize for this latest incursion from the "outlands". It started earlier in the "Common Courtesy" thread when "Trishia Rose" came in whining about us "elders" being put upon for slow brain function, etc. when I had been trying to be facetious/funny.
Problem was, when I replied to her, I didn't pay attention to the cross-postings, so my answer went all over, now they are starting to croos-post BACK! Sorry.
--
Nahmie