Common Courtesy

Reply to
Brikp

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:31:51 -0700, Luigi Zanasi calmly ranted:

So does most beef, Weegee.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hope you shoved him through the xerox a few times, they're a rare breed nowadays.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

This is coming late in the thread, I can understand your wanting to get away from this shit for a while.

You'll be glad, and sad, to know the issues you have raised are not limited to this group or any other form of electronic forum. There will be those who , no matter the communication, will always find fault.

What I don't get is why people think they have some legal or moral right to the knowledge we have spent years acquiring. If one has information there will always be those who think your obligated to cut loose with it. And if you don't divulge your information, no matter if your a nice guy or an asshole like me, your.... well, I don't know. The situation is somewhat insane.

One thing about these people who take issue is, how many times do they think the same person has answered the same question? It's new to them, it's something I learned in 1978. (And I'm just a puppy.) I'm so freaking sorry I didn't pass information in a manner that soothed your troubled mind. ... Not frigging hardly.

Reply to
Mark

Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 10:48am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@whitehouse.org (Capitalist=A0Pig) posted: Languages of the world

I can't accept that site aa any kind of authority on languages. I didn't even see English listed.

JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

- Sir John Lubbock

Reply to
J T

LOL! This was too funny to pass up. I actually do know what ostrich tastes like. There's a 73-year-old ostrich farmer near us (rural NC) and he sells fresh eggs, dried eggs, and ground ostrich meat. I've eaten it. Ostrich doesn't taste like beef, it tastes like bird meat. It's more flavorful than chicken, turkey, or duck, but not strong-flavored. It's good, but imho not good enough to kill a big goofy bird just for a couple of burgers. His story about getting the eggs is funny, some days he can't get the eggs away from the ostriches at all, they kick him and peck at him and drive him away. That is, he loses a fight with birds even tho he wears a bike helmet and shoulder-length gloves and carries a stick.

Reply to
ElaineJ

Mark, thanks for the definitive answer to the posts we get 2 or 3 times a year on soc.retirement, which always run: "I've started reading this newsgroup because I need every detail about MY retirement, and all you selfish old farts talk about is stuff YOU'RE interested in! What's wrong with you?" Etc. The boiler-plate answer is always "So ask a question, we'll answer it." IME, they never ask. Oh well, guess it's better than the early 90's, when little dollies would post to the entire net that hundreds of people should immediately stop talking about a given topic, because _they_ weren't interested...

:^)

Reply to
ElaineJ

Well, one would expect so. There have to be some pretty mean critters in Africa that go after those eggs, not to mention that if Bakker's theories are to be believed ostriches _are_ dinosaurs of a sort. I understand that ostriches kick worse than mules and are quite capable of delivering a lethal blow--not to be trifled with. At one time a bird about the size of an ostrich was the apex predator in the Americas, then the Siberian land bridge opened up, but then cats discovered America. Note that those birds are extinct, but ostriches aren't.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sat, Jul 24, 2004, 9:17pm From: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Genevieve=A0A.Briggs) who responded to a post with the subject of Common Courtesy, and who cross-posted it to: rec.woodworking, soc.senior.issues, talk.euthanasia, soc.history.ancient, soc.retirement

There is no such thing as "common courtesy". It is uncommon to find courtesy, so there is no way it rightfully can be termed "common".

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe THE NEW COPPERPLATE

J T

There is no such thing as "common courtesy". It is uncommon to find courtesy, so there is no way it rightfully can be termed "common".

JOAT, et al; I have to apologize for this latest incursion from the "outlands". It started earlier in the "Common Courtesy" thread when "Trishia Rose" came in whining about us "elders" being put upon for slow brain function, etc. when I had been trying to be facetious/funny.

Problem was, when I replied to her, I didn't pay attention to the cross-postings, so my answer went all over, now they are starting to croos-post BACK! Sorry.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Yup, any post crossposted to so many groups is bound to go nowhere useful, especially such dramatically different topics, and emotionally charged parts of Usenet. I set up a filter a while ago that any post made to 4 or more groups doesn't even get displayed by my newsreader, and it improves the Signal:Noise ratio considerably.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

: Well, one would expect so. There have to be some pretty mean critters in : Africa that go after those eggs

And well-travelled, too (ostriches are native to Australia).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Not. Introduced, but not native. Though Oz does have native ratites, the Casuariidae. Dromaius novaehollandiae Emu Dromaius ater King Island Emu Dromaius baudinianus Kangaroo Island Emu

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Sure about that? Never saw a single Ostrich in all of Australia, but saw plenty of emu's and cassowaries. Saw lots of Ostriches strutting their stuff in S. Africa. But, if I recall my evolutionary theory "way back when" correctly, they all likely have/had a common ancestor before the continents drifted apart.

Then again, about all I can safely say is that they are not native to South Louisiana ... unless they all ended up in the gumbo pot before I came along ... which is a distinct possibility.

Reply to
Swingman

I think you're confusing ostriches with emus. Ostriches are native to East Africa.

Reply to
J. Clarke
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Not quite right!

© Jon Down ®
"You cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Dried eggs? Dried Ostrich eggs even. I've never heard of such a thing. It doesn't sound too appetizing.

Reply to
Richard A.

Richard A responds:

Never been in the military? They are NOT all that appetizing.

Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker

Reply to
Charlie Self

I always considered them a poor yolk at best....

Reply to
George

Come as a powder, mix with water and heat and you've got something that if you don't inspect it too closely bears a slight resemblance to scrambled eggs. Helps to add lots of salt and pepper and Tabasco. Doesn't help _much_ mind you. Check backpacking shops if you want to give them a try (dried chicken eggs that is--haven't ever seen dried ostrich eggs at a backpacking shop).

Reply to
J. Clarke