Common Courtesy

Page 1 of 5
Some chucklehead complained a while back that the regulars in the newsgroup don't offer up much in the way of advice.
I'd beg to differ with that. I think that there is a strong core of people who go out of their way to answer questions.
What can be a little frustrating is when you spend a good bit of time thinking of a response and turning it into keystrokes - and the thread just goes away without so much as a, 'thank you'.
I know, it's Usenet ("It's Chinatown, Jake".) but the Wreck has never been about the typical sort of interaction that occurs on most groups.
If folks would act with the same sort of common human decency that they would use in a face-to-face social interaction - that means, "thank you for your efforts on my behalf", other folks who might know the answer to the question might be more motivated to respond.
It's a simple thing, really.
Am I whining?
Sure - but it ain't real bad whining - and it goes to a point.
Regards, Tom.
Tom,
I'm probably the one you're whining about and my comments were based on your posts at the time. A review of your posts will substantiate that you only made two posts (in about a months time) that offered any advice concerning woodworking. You had posts about selling some of your equipment, some stories, poems and some other nonsense posts concerning the troll.
While you have attained somewhat of a following here Tom, it appears to be for your stories and a way with words - not your woodworking skills so it seems. You were challenged by another concerning that also and seemed very agitated that your credentials were questioned. You seldom make any on-topic posts - so what's your problem?
In my post I don't recall resorting to name calling when I referenced you but you obviously can't provide the same courtesy. I certainly don't know what it is you're out to prove but you have become a one-man band on a crusade to boost your ego - any way you can.
Your stories are cute, you can write - now how about helping those that have legit woodworking questions and take a few moments to answer their questions. I initially thought you were a professional but you have proven otherwise.
Bob S.

Bob wrote:

I'm not sure how much of a compliment I'd take this to be. I mean, puppies, bunnies and kittie cats are cute.
UA100, some times offerer of good advice (advise in wreakspeak) but mostly lurking lately...

I like bunnies. They taste like chicken.
So do puppies and kittie cats but it would be wrong to order up General Tso's Puppy down to the local Szechuan place.
Disregarding the accuracy of the claim.
(watson - who wishes that some non standard food items would be described as tasting like steak, instead of the ubiquitous chicken.)
Regards, Tom.

I would take rabbit over chicken any day.
--
Mac Cool

scribbled:
<snip>

Ostrich tastes like steak.

and Emu tastes like Ostrich...

I thought it tasted like woodchuck.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Camel tastes like wallaby, but emu has a range of tastes from donkey to goanna. Goanna tastes like heaven.
-- Conehead
conehead wrote:

... and it all tastes like spotted owl. Or was it black rhino? the dodo?     gurk,     j4

LOL! This was too funny to pass up. I actually do know what ostrich tastes like. There's a 73-year-old ostrich farmer near us (rural NC) and he sells fresh eggs, dried eggs, and ground ostrich meat. I've eaten it. Ostrich doesn't taste like beef, it tastes like bird meat. It's more flavorful than chicken, turkey, or duck, but not strong-flavored. It's good, but imho not good enough to kill a big goofy bird just for a couple of burgers. His story about getting the eggs is funny, some days he can't get the eggs away from the ostriches at all, they kick him and peck at him and drive him away. That is, he loses a fight with birds even tho he wears a bike helmet and shoulder-length gloves and carries a stick.
ElaineJ wrote:

Well, one would expect so. There have to be some pretty mean critters in Africa that go after those eggs, not to mention that if Bakker's theories are to be believed ostriches _are_ dinosaurs of a sort. I understand that ostriches kick worse than mules and are quite capable of delivering a lethal blow--not to be trifled with. At one time a bird about the size of an ostrich was the apex predator in the Americas, then the Siberian land bridge opened up, but then cats discovered America. Note that those birds are extinct, but ostriches aren't.
--
--John
: Well, one would expect so. There have to be some pretty mean critters in : Africa that go after those eggs
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:09:47 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:

Not. Introduced, but not native. Though Oz does have native ratites, the Casuariidae. Dromaius novaehollandiae    Emu Dromaius ater            King Island Emu Dromaius baudinianus         Kangaroo Island Emu
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

in
Sure about that? Never saw a single Ostrich in all of Australia, but saw plenty of emu's and cassowaries. Saw lots of Ostriches strutting their stuff in S. Africa. But, if I recall my evolutionary theory "way back when" correctly, they all likely have/had a common ancestor before the continents drifted apart.
Then again, about all I can safely say is that they are not native to South Louisiana ... unless they all ended up in the gumbo pot before I came along ... which is a distinct possibility.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Andrew Barss wrote:

I think you're confusing ostriches with emus. Ostriches are native to East Africa.

--
--John

in
Not quite right!
Jon Down http://www.stores.ebay.com/jdpowertoolcanada "You cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in."
ElaineJ wrote:

Dried eggs? Dried Ostrich eggs even. I've never heard of such a thing. It doesn't sound too appetizing.
Richard A responds:

Never been in the military? They are NOT all that appetizing.
Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker
I always considered them a poor yolk at best....