Color variation with Honduran Mahogany

I purchased some Honduran Mahogany about 6 months ago and constructed the legs and rails for a coffee table. Recetnly I purchased some more H. Mahogany to complete the table top. Unfortunately, the colors of the two wood are distinctly different - the first batch is significantly darker (and richer looking) than the second. When you apply tung oil, it is even more dramatic.
So, is this difference in color because ... (1) I've been ripped off and sold a lesser species like African "Mahogany" in the second batch, (2) the first batch oxidized and darkened like Cherry, so I should just be patient, or (3) there is much color variation even within H. Mahogany so I should learn my lesson and buy all of the wood for a project at the same time from the same source?
Lars
Lars Stole wrote:

Lars, unfortunately, the answer is #3. Not only does the color vary but the density can vary also. I have picked up two pieces from the same bundle and had one be almost as light weight as bass wood. On these light weight pieces, which I think are sapwood, the grain is very hard to sand smooth and they are good only for interior bracing.
Deb
Thanks for the feedback.
Judging from the long off cuts, the lighter colored wood also seems to be less stable -- noticeable, slight warping only a week after cutting. This is unfortunately consistent with your theory about it being sapwood. Very depressing given the cost of the stuff.
Lesson learned.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:35:51 -0600, Lars Stole
3, quite possibly 1.
This applies to pretty much all timber. It's always good to have an adequate supply for a project, ideally from the same flitch.
--
Smert' spamionam

I often buy a couple of extra pieces, when I visit the hardwood dealer. This reasoning leads to a full lumber rack, with a little bit of many types of wood. The good news is that I seem to be screwing up less dramatically than in times past. The bad news is that I may need to have a 'clear out the racks' Saturday sometime this spring.
Patriarch
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:35:51 -0600, Lars Stole

Mahogany darkens naturally. Depending on the difference I'd suggest giving it time or just putting the boards for the top out in the sun. (Which is admittedly easier to do if you're in Phoenix.)
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:35:51 -0600, Lars Stole

Yes. Although you could see the cup half full, and be content with a difference of tone, especially if dranatic enough tobe pleasing to the eye.

It really could be any of the above. H. Mahogany will darken quite quickly. If you have any scraps from the legs and rails, plane a piece down, resaw it, whatever and compare to another piece. Alternately, surface a piece of new mahogany, cover part of it with something opaque and set it in day light for a couple days and check the difference to see how it reacts.
HTH, Jeffo